Tomorrow morning is Khan first visit

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Tomorrow morning is Khan first visit

Post by ckranz »

Well all of Khan's paperwork is now complete. We had to redo his CGC test as the paperwork was missing which he aced with ease....even to our proctor's surprise. One of the strangers we met was a little over the top for the friendly stranger test in his petting. Khan took it all in stride. I mentioned that's why I think he will be a great therapy dog.

His first visit is a retirement home. I have been there many times with Chloe so I am confident its a good first visit for Khan.
Fundog

Re: Tomorrow morning is Khan first visit

Post by Fundog »

Good luck, Khan-- get out there and do some good! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's awesome news, CKranz! :D You and Khan worked hard to get this far, so you deserve pats on the back and two thumbs up! :D Way to go to the both of you! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Khan and I had an outstanding visit. We worked 2 20 minute shifts with a 10 minute break between which worked out really well for him. He was well received at the facility and once used to the place Khan was very much into meeting the people. He had some first time jitters which surprisingly were no worse than I remember Chloe's first visit.

Some of the residents had grandchildren visiting and Khan really surprised me on that front. He wanted....yes wanted to go an meet every child. (I gave each of them treat to present to Khan) and he enjoyed their petting and treats. He was exhausted at the end of the visit. He made lots of new friends and showed off some fabulous tricks that even Chloe does not know... like "hug".

For hug, Khan will put his paws on my shoulders while I am sitting. (It's also our end behavior for an agility run. Khan will also hold a bow much longer than Chloe.)

I could not have asked for better dog on a 1st visit. I remember when I started working with him, I never though he would ever become a therapy dog, much less have a desire for such work. To watch him and help him to grow into the dog he is today has been nothing short of amazing.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Well done to the both of you! :D It sounds to me that there will be more doors open for the both of you, because what you and Khan can do as a team! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

way to go Khan.