Loose dog charges Jack.....and he didn't flp out.

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Loose dog charges Jack.....and he didn't flp out.

Post by jacksdad »

I am still pumped up about what happen. I am SOOOOOO PROUD of Jack. for those who don't know, my dog Jack is a chiwawa / jack russel mix who is now closing in on 4 years old. I took him on last year in October as my first dog. He is a rehome and turned out to be very on leash dog/dog reactive.

well tonight we were walking back home after his evening potty break and evening walk when a dog came charging up from behind. I didn't hear it coming due to all the traffic noise and if Jack hadn't stop and whipped around to let me know, we would have been "pounced" from behind. of course, I instantly moved to block the dog, which worked beautifully. in fact after that initial face the dog and body block, the dog 100% got that to say HI to Jack she needed my ok. every time she would move closer i would take a step towards her and lean forward a little and she would keep her distance. after a few second it was clear she was not a threat and she got the message and they got to do the whole sniff and greet thing. Jack was completely calm through the whole thing. Not one freak out bark, lunge etc. they both play bowed, and tried to do a little chase type play. unfortunately the side walk of a busy street isn't the best place for that. Jack's body stayed soft and lose, ears relaxed, and he even gave me an open mouthed "smile" at one point.

he even allowed me to try and help this dog find it's way back home. which had we been successful would put the perfect ending to this story. unfortunately, while I left the dog in what I think was her home, and the safest place I could find, I don't know if that was her house or not.

this actually makes twice in less than a week Jack has been charged by a lose dog and both times he let me deal with the dog and just stayed close to me. no freaking out on his part. The other time is also amazing because Jack was off leash and could have run off or counter charged or any number of other things, but he didn't. he let me deal with it. HUGE, HUGE progress for him.
Wicket

Re: Loose dog charges Jack.....and he didn't flp out.

Post by Wicket »

Congrats, Jack! You've come such a loooong way from before! Woot!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Well done Jack and Jack's Dad :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Brilliant! Well done!!
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

I always enjoy hearing about Jack's successes!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Jack! and dad!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

AWESOME news, Jacksdad! You've worked "wonders" with Jack and it is paying off! Way to go to the both of you! :D YAY and thumbs up to the both of you! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
wolfgirl889

Post by wolfgirl889 »

I'm amazed and wish someday my dog will be able to chill on such events to! Big congratulations on your sucess! You deserve it! :mrgreen:
If you're pissed at someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away from them, and you have their shoes! *evil laugh*
chay

Post by chay »

WOW congrats jack and dad!! That is so fantastic, what a great experience for you both yay!
TxPepper

Post by TxPepper »

that's awesome! My dog has the same problem, so I know that a dog coming towards your dog is like 60 times scarier. Good job though!
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

That's really great!!! Congrats to you and Jack - and good job to him too! :-)
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

wolfgirl889 wrote:I'm amazed and wish someday my dog will be able to chill on such events to! Big congratulations on your sucess! You deserve it! :mrgreen:
He will with our help, Jack's dad has worked hard with Jack following our advice, he did tweak things a little to suit him and Jack but that is what positive training is about, we adapt slightly to suit our dogs and us.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Good job to the both of you, Jack and Jacksdad! :D As for the other dog, you did what you thought was best for it! :D