Woohoo small successes!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Banana_Republic

Woohoo small successes!

Post by Banana_Republic »

My Corgi Watson is an incredibly smart puppy, but he has problems going for walks. He used to not walk at all, even if he was full of energy, but today I got him to walk with me alone around the block! I had to pick him up a few times, but overall it was a success because we used to not be able to get past 3 housed before he wanted to go home. He will walk ok with other dogs or if my Husband is around, but it was important to me that I be able to walk him alone during the day. Now I have hope that we can!

Also down was a problem for him for a while. He just didn't seem to want to do it. I sorta gave up on it and worked on other things (I know shame on me), but my husband continued and he's doing down pretty well now. I was so proud of him tonight when my husband didn't even have to put the treat on the floor to get him to lay down! Last week at puppy class the trainer was trying to teach him wait, and when he couldn't figure out what she wanted he automatically went down :P . I guess it is sort of his last resort trick for a treat :P.

He also showed me his belly today :P. I know it might seem silly, but I had never had a dog that did not want me to rub its belly so it used to bother me that Watson seemed to not trust me enough to allow me to rub his, but today he did twice!

I'm so excited lol. These may not be big things to some people, but they mean so much to me. :D
Elementary my dear Holmes
Mattie

Re: Woohoo small successes!

Post by Mattie »

Well done, I love these success stories, eventually these very small steps develop into masive steps, you have every right to be proud of him. :lol:

Now you have started with your successes, I am looking forward to seeing a lot more, please keep posting them and if something needs tweeking, you know were we are. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]