The most amazing achievment for my boy :-)

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

The most amazing achievment for my boy :-)

Post by Horace's Mum »

I just have to share this with you, it won't seem much to most but it means more than I can say to me, both for now and for the future.

Last night Horus was running around a stable yard with about 30 ponies and horses, off lead and without a care in the world. He was quite happy to run up and down the barns, under the noses of the ponies, not bothered at all. He even picked up the courage to go into a stable and say hello to one pony! He went round and found the ducks but just watched them, didn't stalk or chase, and came with me with just an incline of my head, not even a hand signal needed. He kept coming back to see where I was, then went off to have a play with the other dog that was with us, have a sniff around, lick up some soya oil, then back to me. After 10mins or so he just stayed with me of his own accord while I was filling water buckets and doing hay. There was no panic, no stress, a little excited at it all in his eyes but I was just so amazed. I don't know what made me try it, but we were down there doing late feeds, just me and a friend and the other dog, the gates were all shut, and he has been fine with all the horses this year when we were competing.

This is such a big thing, partly because it just shows how chilled out he really is and how far he has come, and how confident he is in himself and in me. But also because at some point I will have my own ponies again, and hopefully my own little yard, and it means there is a good chance that he will be allowed to come down and just be a yard dog with me. It means I don't need to keep him away from everything all the time, because he is ready to cope with it. And it means all my work with livestock training has really paid off.

I could have cried last night, just so, so happy and amazed. Not a day I thought I would ever see :cry: :D :D
Mattie

Re: The most amazing achievment for my boy :-)

Post by Mattie »

WOW, well done Horus and well done Mum, without your hard work Horus would never have got to this stage. He is a very lucky boy.

It has brought a few tears to me, especially when I look back to how Horus was when you first came here. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I have been reading your posts (old and new), and that is just wonderful.

You have really turned him around :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

That is so-o-o-o AWESOME! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are all so proud of you & Horus. Give that big boy of yours a belly rub, a heiny scratch and a big ol juicy bone for me. And Max sends lots of tail wags too. : ) And go get yourself whatever you want, a new outfit, jewelry whatever, you deserve it for all your hard work!

GO HORUS & MUM!!! WOOT!!WOOT!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Great work to Horus and especially Mum. :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Horace's Mum wrote:I just have to share this with you, it won't seem much to most but it means more than I can say to me, both for now and for the future.
Horace's mum is being modest.....this is HUGE!!!!!!!

Well done both of you. This is a great post to read going into the weekend.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Way to go Horace and Horace's Mum! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Thanks guys. It's funny, every time i think there can't be much more huge improvement, he goes and does something like this!! I introduced him to someone yesterday, having told him his history, and he kept looking at him and saying "he's fine, he's great, he just seems like any other dog..." and I realised that I still have too strong a memory of what he used to be like. I know what he is like with me but I am just too afraid to take any risks where other people are concerned, and yet it is soooo long since he did actually grumble at a person in any serious way (chatting aside!!).

I don't think I will ever forget, or feel I can relax when other people are around, but I can finally say with absolute certainty that I love him to bits, I am so proud of him, and he is so definitely MY boy. I am glad he came home with me. :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I don't think we do forget how our dogs were, I was the same with Gracie, after the first year she never attempted to do anything to another dog apart from play or sniff them, I was always cautious with her.

When you have been through something similar with a dog you really appreciate what goes into others like Horus to turn them round, you have done a remarkable job to get him like this, he had the added handicap of being deaf.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Horus and Mum! It is so encouraging to see when others achieve success using positive methods!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Horace's Mom, I must say that I learn so much from your posts and your relationship with Horace is inspiring! Thank you for sharing your experiences! :)