2 gates wide open and no dog escapees!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

2 gates wide open and no dog escapees!

Post by MPbandmom »

My son let both dogs out into the yard while I was outside doing yard work with both the front and side gates wide open. (Somehow my son failed to see this :roll: ) Granted the side gate isn't readily visible from the door, but the front gate is straight down the sidewalk from the door. I was out sweeping up grass from the front/street sidewalk when I suddenly realized the dogs were in the yard. I ran over to the front gate and tried to close it. We don't have any latches on the outside of the gates, only on the inside, and I am of such a height in comparison with the gate, that I can just barely reach the latch from the outside while standing on tippie toe. One also has to lift up on the gate to get the latch to line up and close.

I was struggeling with the gate latch on one gate and the other gate was still wide open. Sky stayed close as she wanted me to come in the yard and play, but Sirius noticed the other gate being open and started to head towards it. I called her back and she came promptly as I continued to struggle with the gate latch, while yelling for my son. At one point I even pulled out my cell phone and called his phone, which he didn't answer, :evil: and still I hadn't managed to get the front gate latched and the side gate was still wide open.

Finally the latch went closed and I was able to go over and close the side gate. The dogs minded my instructions very well and neither one ever got close to going out of either gate. I felt badly that I didn't have any treats for Sirius since she had obeyed so promptly in coming back to where I was each time she started to head towards the open side gate.

My son came out to see what I wanted after I had gotten both gates closed. :lol: I think I got much more of a cardiovascular workout trying to get the gates closed without loosing any dogs through them than I did mowing the whole yard. At least my heart seemed to be pounding much harder. :lol: :lol:

The thought just occured to me that I probably could have gone inside of the yard through the gate and gotten it closed much more quickly, and thus the other gate closed more quickly, but I don't think the best in a crisis situation, as the above experience demonstrates. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Dakine'smama

Re: 2 gates wide open and no dog escapees!

Post by Dakine'smama »

That is really something to be proud and happy about! Our family's second dog (Bob II) was a total homebody and never wandered when we were outside washing cars or doing yardwork but every other dog was a runner--exhausting!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Whew! (relieved emoticon) What a story--- so I hope you at least gave Sirius lots of praise for obeying you, even though you didn't have any treats in hand? And isn't it great enough to almost make you faint when the dogs actually obey your instructions in an emergency? It's like having a panic attack AFTER the crisis is over! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yes, Fundog, I did give her lots of praise for coming back away from the open gate each time. Then she looked kind of expectantly at me for something yummy. Which is why I felt kind of guilty for not having anything. Of course I don't usually take dog treats to mow the lawn. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.