Dylan update - so proud!!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Dylan update - so proud!!

Post by ladybug1802 »

The last week or so Dylan has been noticeably....well, better! He has been much calmer in general (apart from when he gets over excited of course!)....my parents have noticed that when they have him in the day he has been calmer and just generally 'better'.

We had agility tonight and he was amazing! Really calm, focused on me all the time whenever I asked, did the apparatus great, and didnt bother about any of the other dogs. One dog who didnt like each other 2 weeks ago, was eye balling Dylan and is generally a bit of a lout....but Dylan didnt bother with him at all! In fact when that dog was starting off a course at one point, Dylan was lying down and just watching...and whenever I asked him to watch me, he did!

so proud of my boy!

My parents and I have been being more calm around him ourselves, and it does seem to be paying off. Now the only issue I really have with him to be honest is with people coming in the home....but havent had anyone in for a while, but got the behaviourist coming Wed evening...and a friend of mine is ocming half an hour later to be a 'guest' so the behaviourist can work with us some more. But I think part of the way to us succeeding is me being calm...I have seen firat hand the last couple of weeks exactly HOW important remaining calm and relaxed in, especially with a sensitive boy like Dylan!
jacksdad

Re: Dylan update - so proud!!

Post by jacksdad »

nice. way to go dylan.

yes, you being calm or not can influence dylan so you being calm is always a plus.

Keep it up.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I love these success stories, they bring a few tears to my eyes :lol:

Well done, it is more difficult to train ourselves but when we do our dogs always respond. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Woo-hoo! Good job! 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh and this weekend he has been a STAR! ON Sat we went and did a Horse and Hound jumping class at a local horse show....my friend did a round of jumps on her horse, then I went round a course of little doggie jumps with Dylan....basically it was done on speed and faults (as in whether horses had jumps down etc). He was amazingly well behaved round all the horses and people....he was off lead doing the jumping, totally focused on me, was very good in the prize giving (we came 4th out of 10, and that was with the horse getting a fence down), and generally very good.

Then Sunday I did take him to my friends house and she wasnt wrong - her rescue dog is one hyper pup!! They ran round the fields for a while and got on very well, loving the play.....then we got to the house and they played for some more, and then when Dylan had had enough he did tell Charlie to back off.....but Charlei tends to back off then come back again. They were very well mannered tho.....and a few times my friend put her dog on lead and then Dylan had a bit of a chill out. He was brilliant with my friend and her boyfriend tho....they both totally ignored him and then Dylan, after a while, went up to them to sniff them, and all was good. But there were NO issues at all....no problems or worries about seeing other people at all.

So proud!!