Karma at the Labor Day Celebration BBQ

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Karma at the Labor Day Celebration BBQ

Post by wvvdiup1 »

As many of you from the US know, yesterday was Labor Day and there were a lot of celebrations going on. Yesterday, I took Karma with me to one that was having a chicken BBQ, music, and other festivities, including a car show.

There were a lot of dogs there and I was quite apprehensive about walking Karma there, but she did really well! She made some new friends with some mix breeds, a Husky, and a Weirmaner (sorry about the spelling)! They even had a large area to let the dogs loose and run, and with Karma doing so well, I decided to let her run too! Oh boy did she run! They (the dogs) had a sort of a tag game going on in which one dog would run and the others would chase it, then when they caught up with the dog, they touched noses.

Then, there was a scary moment: Karma jumped over the fence! She did her little sniffing thing and circled the area while the other dogs were looking for her. I was able to call her and she jumped over the fence, back into the dog area, and was able to sneak up onto the other dogs! :lol: The people standing around watching all of this were amazed because they didn't hear me call her and see me point over the fence in which Karma heard and obeyed my commands! :lol: They asked me how I did it and I told them how a little positive reinforcement training helped Karma. They were amazed! :D

I left Karma play a little longer in the dog area while I watched her. This couple had a Yorkie and put it in the dog area to let it run. While the Yorkie was sniffing around, Karma took an interest in it, came up to it, sniffed it, and became fast friends, much to the amazement of the Yorkie's owners, which I think they were afraid that their little dog was going to get hurt with the larger dogs there. However, their fears subsided when Karma took the Yorkie under her protection. Karma groomed and bathed the Yorkie and left it play with her bushy tail! :lol: I was never any prouder of "my little girl" when I saw Karma just relaxing and having a good time while being well-behaved! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
dontpugme

Re: Karma at the Labor Day Celebration BBQ

Post by dontpugme »

Thats awesome! Well done. That sounds really fun. We spent Friday evening to Sunday morning at the beach house. We had lots of food and lots of people came over.

I spend Labor day at home watching the Whale Wars marathon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Not me, I did some work around the house, got some stuff for the cookouts I've been invited and the one I had over the weekend! That's why I went away for the day! :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice. good work with the hand signals
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done, you have worked hard with Karma which is why she was so good yesterday, she is a very lucky girl.

Go back to when you first got her and see just how far Karma has come, she is a very good advert for positive training. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thanks Mattie! She has come a long, long way, but I knew that if I put in the time, patience, and hard work, that it will pay off and it did! :D However, once in a while she slips a little bit, but as long as I can catch the behavior in time, I can correct her and she does fine. :D However, on that day, I hadn't had her around other dogs in about a couple of weeks, so taking her to the Labor Day BBQ celebrations and walking her around made me a little apprehensive until I saw by her behavior she would be fine and that letting her loose with the other dogs in the dog area would prove to me that she will be fine. And she proved it herself that day, which makes so proud of "my little girl!" :lol: