"Leave it"---even with a dead carcass!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

"Leave it"---even with a dead carcass!

Post by Wicket »

As my dogs and I were walking on the street, I noticed a dead baby rabbit on the sidewalk that had gross insects and funny smells coming out of it. I thought that this would be a good challenge for them for "leave it" but I was confident that they would pass the test. As we walked closer, I let them both sniff the carcass (and thankfully no resource guarding from either them--they both took turns!) and said calmly, "Leave it." After they heard, they both sniffed and walked away.

On the way back, we encountered the dead rabbit again. This time my Poodle sniffed for a few seconds and responded to the "leave it" cue while my chi-poo didn't even bother to sniff it! :)
***Melissa***

Re: "Leave it"---even with a dead carcass!

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Wow!! That's great stuff.

I don't think my two will respond to leave it with something as interesting as a carcass!! - Maybe if I use the "voice of doom" as Nettle says :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow, that's great! I'm pretty sure something like that would be too much for my two to pass up. I would have to cross the street to avoid it, and even then, I would have a struggle getting past without them dragging me over to investigate. My two absolutely LOVE checking out roadkill (insert "grossed out" emoticon here)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I don't know how many dead carcasses Karma and I have passed that Karma got excited! Every time we passed one, she has to investigate it (sniffs it) until I tell her to "leave it" and she walks away from it. Then, when we're coming back, sometimes she'll get excited when I have to tell her to "leave it" then she just walks right pass it without any reactions. Try saying "leave it" when you're holding your breath! :lol: (need "holding breath" emoticon here)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown