off lead and heeling around other dogs!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

off lead and heeling around other dogs!

Post by MPbandmom »

Sky had her jumping focus class tonight. Because I have been trying to get her to drain herself before class rather than be so preoccupied with marking everywhere during class and we arrived a little earlier than anticipated; I took her for about 5 laps around outside of the agility field before class. When class started, she was excited as the other dogs arrived and she wanted to greet and play, but she settled down fairly well. We did several jump exercises, and she did get the zoomies on one exercise, but I think that was because I was confusing her with my signals and even then, she stayed close to where I was, and away from the other dogs.

Later we moved to another station and I was trying to get her to do a pinwheel jump. Instead of a jumping dog, I had a heeling shadow dog. I'm pretty sure it was because she needed a break from it all, but there were still other dogs in the field running and jumping and yet her focus was 100% on me. I'll take a tired heeling Sky anyday. :D

I think we are going to give agility a break after this class as far as taking classes is concerned, but I do hope to get some more equipment to work on some things in the yard with her. (Currently I have 2 kitty litter buckets and a left over piece of pvc pipe which constitute a jump.)
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Re: off lead and heeling around other dogs!

Post by Fundog »

All right! I'll take a tired, heeling dog any day too! :D And I think it's very good of you to consider Sky's need to take a break, and let her have a little "vacation." 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Good stuff, and I think you are making the right call to let Sky have a break. Get on and make some more agility equipment at home so you guys can have fun with no stress at all!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ya, I will take a tired heeling dog as well....particularly when other dogs are around.

nice work. and kudos to cluing into sky's need for a break.