He has a disablity but he learned! Thanks Victoria!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OhioRuthie

He has a disablity but he learned! Thanks Victoria!

Post by OhioRuthie »

I have a 3 year old dog Australian Shepherd Mix...he was found during a snow storm, in a box out in a field with a head injury he was like six weeks old. He was six months old before he knew his name. He's always gone outside on his own but its just recently that I haven't had to carry him in...he's easily distracted and will sit and stare..reminds me of autistism...but since watching It's Me Or The Dog I've noticed eye contact seems to be the key...so even though I must be outside with him I get eye contact and stand next to him and say, "who's the big boy? who's the good boy?" he will wag his tail and run to the door. I've been teaching the new rescue the sit command and she has it down great...he will lay down when I say sit even when he sees what the other dog does. But the fact its hard for him to learn I think even laying down when he hears 'sit' is fine with me. I'm so impressed that he's able to learn. He is just now paper trained at age 3 and its not 100%. He's also randomly aggressive, even biting me. I have to muzzle him outside but he's fine with it. I'm working on desensatizing him over items I know sets him off...broom, grocery bags, garbage bags, vaccuum, latex gloves (I use to clean)...it seems to be working...showing him the items before I use them has kept me from being bitten (so far). He still barks like crazy but hasn't attacked me lately.

I get the "unadoptables" due to health or aggression...the rare adoption can take years...and have had only one returned and that was in the beginning...I have stricter guidelines now. Last adoption was two months ago...the rescue had been here three years..but they are a perfect match so it was worth the wait. They had experience with special needs rescues.

Anyway...I'm so proud of my 3 year old dog for learning a couple of new things just in a few weeks...no one really expected him to understand much of anything. I watch every episode of IMOTD even when its a rerun...I find its so helpful with my rescues.
Thanks Victoria!
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
Fundog

Re: He has a disablity but he learned! Thanks Victoria!

Post by Fundog »

That's wonderful! You must be a very special and patient person to take a dog most people would have given up on. :D I too have a dog who is our "special child." She suffered neglect and poor nutrition in her first crucial year, so she isn't as smart as she could be, but with a lot of love and enrichment puzzles and games, she is coming around. :D Lol, she's our little "cotton headed ninny-muggins." :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Fundog wrote: Lol, she's our little "cotton headed ninny-muggins."
:lol: :lol:

OhioRuthie, that is an amazing story!! You have given your dog a wonderful life by not giving up and taking the time to teach him new things and improve his quality of life :D
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Forkin14 he's so worth the effort :-)

The amazing thing..I just got home today from having gallbladder surgery..they have been with me everywhere I go....even as I type this they are right up against me. I prefer to be the one taking care of them but for some reason they seem to be trying to take care of me...walking next to me up and down the steps as if they think I'm going to fall without them..really sweet.

Have a great day!

My websites:

Mattie

Post by Mattie »

They call them special needs dogs for a reason,they are very special :D

It isn't easy living with a special needs dog but the rewards are tremendous, you are doing a really good job, if you need any help just ask, if you get down or frustrated, let it all go on here, we are good at supporting people as well as giving advice.

I have had special needs dogs since I first took Joe on 14 years ago, Joe is now at the Bridge but I have Ellie who has a trachotomy in.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Mattie...all my rescues have issues...even though my macaw has balance issues from being beaten...he's so aware of Mozart...if ten minutes goes by and he hasn't seen him he'll scream "MOZART" and if he doesn't come he'll yell "MOMMA MOZART" The Chihuahua is slow too from lack of oxygen at birth..she has many issues, missing a foot,etc. But the macaw (Sabastian) gives her a break too. I was holding Sabastian and just as I was trying to sit down Lily the chihuahua jumped on me and kissed his face...he closed his eyes but waited for me to move her..he didn't lash out at her. When he first arrived my arms were covered in bruises he didn't trust people at all. Now he's full of kisses.

You are so right...special needs does mean they are simply special...I love them so much! Thanks again! I'm going to post their photos on the photos thread :-)

My websites:

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Great stuff - and OMG, who in the HECK beats a BIRD! Well done to you for having the patience and dedication to your animals :D
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Emmabeth....most people are amazed to hear that birds are abused..they go through hell from people who don't know what to expect..loud and messy...I'll spare the stories of what people have done to get them quiet. They are awesome if people know how to care for them.

My websites:

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nice work OhioRuthie.
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Jacksdad....I'm so proud of Mozart...he really tries.

My websites:

OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

HE DID IT!!!! Mozart sits correctly and he did it all on his own...I'm training him with the newest rescue a puppy and I guess he figured it out. This morning with every sit request he sat and didn't lay down. I'm taking it slow...but I'm so excited that he is able to learn...I just have to keep his eye contact...I always had him look at me so I could pick him up outside since he was a puppy (otherwise he'd go under the porch.he never came in on his own)..never thought I could use the look at me to teach him things. People are astounded he can sit when asked..he understands!!! He is seriously aggressive at times so I'm hoping he can learn enough that we can overcome the aggression...its not his fault he had a head injury as a puppy..he was found in a box in a field in the middle of winter as a puppy with his head bleeding. I got him a few days after he was found and his whole body hurt..he couldn't jump without yelping. He never understood much, like I mentioned before he was six months old before he learned his name. So overall he's come a long way and I'm so proud of him..he's really trying and has had some success...IMOTD really is a source of motivation...makes me believe in miracles! Even if this is as far as Mozart is able to go its a lot further than anyone ever thought possible..but I'm going to keep on going with him..he seems to have fun with the training. I think it helps he has a buddy doing it with him..yay!

My websites: