beginings of a good recall

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Re: beginings of a good recall

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Just when I've finally got Karma to know my recall commands, something else grabs her attention and I have to refocus her attention back to me! :shock: As far as being dragged, she's done that many times in which I've not only had insects in my teeth, but I've had mud, sticks, and leaves; and this past winter on one of our walks, she dragged me off a foot bridge into the icy, cold water, just to get after some fish! Not my idea of a swim, I tell you! :lol:

However, I've seen times when Karma did respond to my recall commands, but some of advices you (Fundog) and others have given me have worked miracles! :D That I can be thankful because I'm afraid that one day, Karma will go chasing after something she shouldn't and I know I can't keep up with her, but at least, I'll have the "Recall Tools" to get her back! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Just be sure to proof Karma in a variety distractions for the recall. Since we are talking about squirrels and reliable recall, here are some ideas.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nope, I'm talking about any distraction! I've been working with her on the issues of squirrels, rabbits, birds, and so on. Earlier tonight, I found one other distraction I need to work the recall command on, and that is chasing people on bicycles! :(

Gee Karma, I thought we went over this! :roll:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Not to hijack Jacksdad's thread, but... I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I've had to pretty much start over on Dottie's recall since our move. The previous post I mentioned that we had just graduated up to letting trail a long lead around the backyard. Well, just last night and this morning I took a risk and left the lead off. She did great, and when I decided it was time to go back inside, she paid attention and met up with me at the door! There is still NO WAY I can ever let her off in the front yard, since we are on a busy road, but this is a good start. :D I need to have that recall firmed up by hunting season!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

hijack away .....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The Art of the Possible:

You all know I keep hunting dogs. They catch rabbits and rats, and until it became illegal a few years ago, they caught other things too.

They must never chase a cat or even look at a cat That Way. They are usually off-lead unless in a dangerous place eg by traffic.

I am not an amazing trainer, just an average one: they are not amazing dogs, just average ones (except to me :wink: )

I start the de-sensitising to cats as early as I can by getting them to Watch Me when a cat happens by. Soon they realise cat=treat; mine are not very treat-oriented so sometimes they won't take it, but cat can then = praise or a little fuss, or a conversation such as "it's a stupid cat, it's beneath you, we don't Do cats, aren't you just the best dogs?" We also learn Leave It, separately at home and then out and about.

In the past I have had friends with nice cats as in affable non-scratchy or spitty cats, and we have met in their homes with dog on lead and cat free to inspect dog. They have become tolerant with those cats; with cats running loose they have to Watch Me. If the Watch me begins to loosen, I can get a real snarl into Leave It.

There is a Suicide Cat locally: it is rabbit coloured, moves like a rabbit, hunts in one of the fields we and a hundred other dog walkers take off-lead dogs, and it erupts from behind a blade of grass to run across in front of my off-lead dogs. Sometimes I am SO proud of them 8) one day a dog will kill that cat, but it won't be one of mine.

So it CAN be done. It's a lot of effort, but very important to me that my dogs don't kill cats. You can do it too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Stu posted about advice on whether or not to leave his/her Alaskan Malamutes loose and about recall. I think you (Mattie, Fundog, and Nettle) ought to post your advices to Stu. He or she posted their original message under Dog Training→ Dog Breeds→Alaskan Malamutes. All three of you gave good advices on recall training and I know all three of you can help Stu out! Please? :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow. If I gave good advice about recall, I'd sure like to remember what it was! I could sure use some of that "good advice" myself about now! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Mattie and Nettle, you're up) :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I gave some quick generic advice provided the a link to a post by mattie that wvvdiup1 found (good find by the way) so that there was a response.

However, the ops has some specific questions about malamutes that is over my head, so like fundog says hopefully mattie or nettles will stop by.