One small step for dog...

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

One small step for dog...

Post by Noobs »

Murphy seems to be making progress adjusting back to (his version of) normal in the last week since I wrote that diatribe about our recent setbacks.

His rash is almost cleared up thanks to the apple cider vinegar (natural and $4 vs the vet's $30 ointment that contains who-knows-what). He's very compliant and sits very still when we apply it and gets plenty of praise and treats for that.

L has decided to suck it up and take him on walks again. She takes him on 20- to 30-min walks at a time when she knows the streets will be nearly empty so both their stress levels seem good. If she doesn't feel up to it or particularly confident she let's me know and I take him after work. I get up a little earlier and have increased his morning walks to over an hour, temps permitting. I also keep him away from people and dogs right now to keep him from getting worked up, except for the 2 or 3 dogs that he knows and likes to greet - and even then we rarely see them and he usually takes a sniff and promptly walks away with little additional "conversation."

This morning we were on our way home when I saw a dog ahead. We crossed the street. Another dog ahead. Walked around a couple of parked cars until the first dog passed and crossed back across the street. Next thing I know there was a third dog! I guess with the temps significantly lower this morning more people were taking their dogs out! I keep my cool as I have gotten used to doing. Murphy was to my left and the approaching dog was to its owners left, so we had both people between the two dogs which is of course ideal. I was about to curve to my left to put more distance between us and the other dog but before I had a chance to do that, Murphy did it first! His body stayed relaxed and he was looking at the other dog but not "eyeing" him. After we passed the other dog I led him back to the sidewalk and gave him tons of praise.

I'm very proud of my boy today...and his mad coping skills. :wink:
Leigha

Re: One small step for dog...

Post by Leigha »

That is wonderful!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Fantastic, that's so good to hear! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It was just a hiccup, well done Murph, Noobs and L :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

wooohoo murphy, noobs and L