Yey!!! just taught Missy to speak on command

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Chezzy

Yey!!! just taught Missy to speak on command

Post by Chezzy »

I have tried to teach Missy how to speak on command now for a good while but was starting to look silly to try and get her to bark. I tried it again today but this time, put the treats in a cup so she knew they were there and she sat and barked at them, so I clicked and treated. Kept doing this and then added the work speak, well it wasn't long after that when she caught on and would bark when I said speak! yey!!!!! :D
My Best Friend is a Puggle :-)
maximoo

Re: Yey!!! just taught Missy to speak on command

Post by maximoo »

I want to teach my boy to speak on command but the cue phrase I :D want to use is "who let the dogs out?!" lol...
Chezzy

Post by Chezzy »

ha ha ha!!! u'll have to keep me updated on that one! :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

We used our child to help us teach Annie to speak: He knelt in front of his father, was told to "speak," so he said, "woof" then his father patted him on the head and said, "Good boy!" It only took two times and Annie got it.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I could try it that way. Not sure if max would pick it up like that tho. Sometimes he seems really smart, other times he is pretty daft :? just like a human lol...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Your cue phrase might be too long. A lot of times, when show people do skits with animals, using a script, the animals are actually conditioned to respond to just one or two words out of a big phrase, then you can add the whole phrase into your script for the audience, but really there is only one or two crucial words that the animal is acting on. I've seen sometimes when an animal is having difficulty picking the cue word out of the whole sentence, so then the handler will repeat the one word all by itself, and it works. So for now you could just limit Max's cue to "Dogs out" then when he has that mastered, you can say the whole thing, putting emphasis on "dogs out."
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

i have seen skits with dogs & altho the trainer is speaking the dog is mainly looking at the trainers hand/body signals.
I gotta make up a hand signal or use the correct one from ASL.
Its gonna be very cool & entertaining!
Chezzy

Post by Chezzy »

I used the hand signal that victoria uses, and it really works with the command so I bet u'll get him to bark to "who let the dogs out" he he!!! U will have to keep me posted!!! I should have thought of it myself! :D
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I don't have a momopoly on it by any means :D If your dog folows the hand signal keep the signal the same & chg the words Like Fundog said the cue words should be "dogs out"
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Been working on "Dogs out" with a hand signal the past few days. Max is getting it. In the beginning the silly boy gave me a rollover. He is actually responding to 'dogs out' now. he gives a soft growly bark, other times a loud bark.
Well at least he is responding to the cue. He still needs alot more practice/opportunities. I love when the wheels spin when he is thinking. When it is perfected I'll put up a video. When my dghtr comes home in a few days won't she be surprised? :shock: :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I've been working with Karma to speak, but one of the problems I find is that she'll do her "Bear growl" but not "woof!" I've been saying "Speak Karma" to no avail and I don't want to confuse her by saying "Karma speak!" :(

Any suggestions? :(
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

are you using a hand signal as well? Hmmm...I'm not sure....I'm thinking to catch dog when barks . In my case Max barks when I'm eating & won't give him some so it was easy for me to know when he'll bark while he is focused on me. All the other times he barks its at a random noise/other animal & he isn't focused on me. See fundogs suggestion above & look on youtube/net for other techniques/ideas.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I don't know where I could get a little boy to help me on this, but I'm using hand signals as I give the command! :lol:

I'm still working with Karma on this, but only getting the little bark along with the growl. I'll keep working with her, but I sure could use all the advice all of you could give me! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

All we get from Annie when asked to "speak" is a whisper, not a full-out bark. She really does reserve her real bark for when she needs it. She never "cries wolf." Personally, I like that about her. :idea:
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Well I'm at the stage now where I wait for 2 barks before I treat. I also realized that I have to do the hand signal on the words "let the" b/c he takes a sec or 2 to respond by the time I say 'dogs out" he is ready to bark. He is getting there! It will be perfected when I get 5 barks: woof woof woof wooof woof!