Meeting new people and not killing a guinnea pig

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

Meeting new people and not killing a guinnea pig

Post by Lauram »

Po is a little bit shy, he isn't too bad and is certainly getting better but this weekend was a huge test of his progress. I went camping Saturday night with a group of people I was on expedition with. There was about 15 of us in total and a mixture of both dog people and non dog people.

Po coped really well and got on really well with the calmer members of the group, any one who was a bit exciteable or pushy was excluded from his company. He did great (apart from an attempted raid on supplies but thats what lurchers do) and sat as part of the circle around the camp fire. He chased a few bunnies and delighted in a whole lot of new smells even willingly laying at someone elses feet while I went to the loo. Huge improvement. His recall wasn't too bad either considering the place is crawling rabbits and even i can smell them!!! So welldone Po

A further test was past when we retired from our camp sight to my friends lawn. They got out their guinnea pigs to show everyone and so we could all have a cuddle. After initially displaying an unhealthy interest in the furry friends, a real interest, eyes fixed body stiff type interest. He didn't pull or lunge towards them or actively go for them, just stare menacingly. Eventually I regained his attention and he layed down and slept along side me.

The Po appreciation society is growing in strength and numbers and we both had a lovely weekend :lol:
Leigha

Re: Meeting new people and not killing a guinnea pig

Post by Leigha »

That's wonderful! J had to save a baby bird from Bruiser today. I guess baby birdie fell from nest, and Bruiser was following it around the backyard barking as it toddled around (I guess it was too young to fly). He didn't touch it, just yelled at it a lot. J ended up picking baby bird up and moving him out of our fence by the tree he fell from. Thankfully Dixie was upstairs. Had she been outside at that time, the baby birdie would have been a snacky-poo.