New Puppy New Method

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RebeccaM

New Puppy New Method

Post by RebeccaM »

I have had a few dogs in my past, all of them were terrific dogs and were trained using the older methods of training through alpha leadership. I haven't been able to have a dog for quite a few years, but I have always had horses as well as dogs. Those of you with horses also know that the trend of training horses has changed as well going from the dominate and break methods to the new natural horseman ship methods. I was 'turned on" to Paralli a few years ago and I love it! Now I have a new puppy and I have decided that I am going to use the 'Positively' training methods exclusively.

I picked up Jax, a 10 week old Australian Shepherd, from the breeder on Saturday afternoon and now Monday, (using only positive reinforcement) he sits, leaves it, and downs (while crawling under my leg), recall (in my own back yard) is about 50% and "watch me" is almost 100%! We have had only 1 accident and that was my fault because I wasn't fast enough when he was heading for the back door. He piddled on the back door mat, so its not his fault that he doesn't have the height or thumbs to open the back door for himself!! I have had Aussies in the past and I do know that they are smart but never have I had one that is truly excited about learning. We work for 5-10 minutes at a time 4 or 5 times a day and mix it in with play so its super fun. I love that instead of the normal NO and BAD I have alternative games and tools to divert the unwanted behaviours before they have time to become a habit. My 7 year old daughter is on board with standing and becoming boring if his play becomes too rough, he then simply sits then he is rewarded with a chest scratch and play resumes. No bumping with the knees when he jumps up no yelling DOWN and forcing a sit. I think the best part is watching him work out how to get that treat, then a light bulb goes off and you can see his face, if all fails bum on ground!!

Thankyou Victoria, you, like Pat Paralli have given us a way to form a partnership rather than simply having a pet.
LukaLuka

Re: New Puppy New Method

Post by LukaLuka »

Congrats! You seem to have a smart puppy!