Leo's update!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bikersblu

Leo's update!

Post by bikersblu »

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We took Leo on the school walk yesterday as usual...Ive been diverting him away from other dogs lately...and we bumped into a nce old lady walking her 5 year old shi-tzu. I stayed calm , keeping Leo on a short leash and reassuring him, saying good boy while he was quiet...we came nose to nose to the lil shi-tzu and WOW! Leo made a fried huzah! lol

We also bumped into the little black dog a few days ago, who he had gone for in the past, and before anything could happen i hooked my arms round leo's front legs and started fussing him...the little black dog came racing up and I put my hand out to him, greeting him and fussing him beore he had the chance to jump up and YEY! Leo was calm and quite excited to see the lil guy.

So I think progress is finally being made :)

Oh and also he used to bark at every dog that wen by the window...but since I reinforced the "Quiet" command with a vengance, he has more or less stopped :)

What progress the little guy has made :D Walkies has become a load more fun

Ps I also put this in the other forum before I realised he is quite a success :)
Fundog

Re: Leo's update!

Post by Fundog »

Great job! I think this calls for a chocolate cake in celebration. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

I,m all for that lol...and chicken treats for the dogs! lol
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

oh yes, rewards your self and leo. you both earned it.
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

Well we've had a bit of a backward stride lately :( My brother came over with is husky last weekend and at first Leo wagged his tail...but as soon as she came nose to nose with him he freaked out!!! We had to muzzle him and take him away to the other end of the garden...but he managed to slip the muzzle...luckily we grabbed him and kept him on the lead...it was scary :( Now hes nervous again and I cant take him out again....oh its frustrating!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

set backs will happen in the early stages of Leo's learning to not react to other dogs. be careful to not flood him with success. meaning, if you have two successful and calm encounters resist trying for a third, call it a day.

Also, success in the park may not translate right away to success in your neighborhood or home or it might go the other way.

review what when wrong with meeting the husky. learn from it. try not to repeat the mistakes.

keep up the work, you will go through 2 steps forward 1 step back a lot before this is over. I am 6 months into working with Jack an I still can't take him around my neighborhood without a high risk of him reacting. But I can go to parks and the beach for example and have a low risk of reaction. Leo will come around just keep it up.