She "High Fives!"

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

She "High Fives!"

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I was watching IMOTD Saturday and what caught my attention was Victoria teaching the dog Wolfgang how to "High Five." Since I've trained Karma to do other tricks, I thought this trick would be cool, too, to train her.

After I kneeled and had Karma sit, I began training her this trick. However, I don't think it took two seconds after I put my hand up and said "High Five" that her paw hit my hand! I thought this couldn't be real so I gave the command after I had put my hand up again and she did it again! So I wondered what other tricks she has up up her furry big legs and so I did the "Gimme Five" trick. She knows that one, too! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So now I have to figure what other tricks I could train her to do. Furthermore, with Akitas being very intelligent dogs, I'm looking into challenging tricks to train her. Does anyone know where (what links, books, DVDs) I could find such tricks?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
***Melissa***

Re: She "High Fives!"

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Woohoo, that's awesome that she learned it so fast!!
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I found out that she also fetches slippers and shoes, but I wonder why she won't fetch balls, frisbees, or sticks? Ummm... :?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
v1cky

Post by v1cky »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Does anyone know where (what links, books, DVDs) I could find such tricks?
Congratulations! This is such a cool trick, I find that people are far more impressed with it than the traditional 'Shake Hands' command. I found it quite easy to teach to my Rottie pup too, and once they have mastered it you can teach them to target other things with their paws. I taught Wotan to push the cat flap open when he needs to go outside or come back in - it makes a loud enough noise that you can hear it all over the house. I did that instead of teaching him to ring a bell because my cats found ringing the bell way too much fun, so I was up and down like a yoyo!!

Have you taught play dead? I taught Wotan using the command 'Bang' and a hand signal where I put my index and middle finger together like when children pretend to have a gun. It is absolutely hilarious to watch him play dead after being 'shot', especially where he runs across the room and then falls over on his back!

I would also recommend Zak George, whose YouTube channel is at http://www.youtube.com/user/zakgeorge21 ... 76z12srr-4
He has a show called SuperFetch and has some ideas for teaching dog tricks using positive reinforcement.

Have fun!!