Po didn't chase

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

Po didn't chase

Post by Lauram »

I am so pleased with Po yesterday he let two possible chase oppurtunities pass him by in favour of listening to me. That is progress.

The first chase almost came about when I was letting 2 of the horses out down the bottom field on the way for a walk. Po was off the lead trotting behind me. Since he was a puppy my own horses have often been a source of sport and amusement for him, mainly because they are not scared of dogs and wont run away, however they sometimes see fit to remove a lurcher from the field and bobby (youngster) chases dogs. When I let them go they went off galloping and bucking I saw Po's ears prick and eyes sparkle and did quite a sharp "ah ah". He never ran after them and went from a poised stance to a treat awaiting sit. He always reverts to a sit when he knows he should do something but not sure what, like his default setting.

Secondly when I went to get the horses in Po set off Zommie-ing around the bottom field. The field is stock fenced and in the ajoining field there are alot of sheep who were all milling around against our fence. This was the non chase i was most pleased about because my ability to stop the lurchers chasing is mainly dependant on their proximity to me and the potential chase, with increased distance from me my control is reduce. Also if the distance between them and the chase is reduced again my control is reduced. So when he raced closed to the fence and the sheep as a herd bolted, he stopped and changed direction to follow them. Just because the field is fenced it doesn't mean it was a safe situation Po would think nothing of popping the rails to go after them, jumping is effortless. I did my attention getting "hey hey" shout and told him "this way" and he did it, came racing towards me, at which point I launched one of his toys as a reward.

I was so pleased. I have had difficulties training Po, mainly because he has so much hunting instinct, too much, i think. Not just the normal sighthound influences but his lines were outcrossed at various points to gain a better nose, so unfortunately he is just as likely to put his nose on the floor and disappear in the style of a foxhound, without the baying, as he is to see something and run after it. At the moment though he is doing really well!!
Mattie

Re: Po didn't chase

Post by Mattie »

Well done both of you, it is your hard work that has got him to be like this. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

Thanks Mattie.

Its so good when things go right. Thats kind of the stage I wanted to get to, where he knows what he can and can't chase. He'll never be 100% but we can manage the rest
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Brilliant stuff! well done to you both!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

feels good doesn't it, the work paying off. well done
Lauram

Post by Lauram »