Dixie's little successes...

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Dixie's little successes...

Post by Leigha »

We've had Dixie three weeks now, and so far here's what we've done--

1. She no longer eats poos! YAY! She did it when we first got her, then we started putting tablets in her food that were supposed to keep her from eating the poo and she stopped. Then she got sick and had diarrhea and vomitting for a day, then just diarrhea for another two. At that point she was back to eating the poo and the vomit. Not sick anymore (poos are back to normal) and she's again walking away as soon as she's done.

2. J got a face kiss--only one though, hasn't done it since. I keep telling myself she did it accidentally. Very excited that she's kissed someone, but kind of bummed it was him that got it. How stupid and juvenile, I know, but still. She's absolutely a daddy's girl.

3. She relaxed and laid on the floor in front of the couch last night. Normally she doesn't relax when she's not out of the crate. She paces, pulls the leash, tries to jump on the counter over the babygate, etc. Last night after about 20 minutes of rubbing her belly in the standing position she finally laid down and relaxed.

So Yay for her!
Leigha

Re: Dixie's little successes...

Post by Leigha »

Grr no edit function--I forgot to add that she's not been eating her poo and we haven't been putting the poo tabs in all week...
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yay, Dixie!

Well done for you guys for taking her on, too. I look forward to hearing more about her and the rest of your brood. :wink:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done Leigha and Dixie, keep up the good work :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Excellent stuff well done Dixie (and Leigha and J!)

:D :D
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh my gosh!!! That's GREAT!!! (happy dance)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

AWESOME! More belly rubs for Dixie :D
How's her skin/lice problem?
Is she responding to her name yet?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Lice are gone. She's still a little bit itchy, but I think that's because she's still got a few sores/scabs that are healing up. She sometimes responds to her name--it depends on what's going on. If she's in her crate she'll look at us when we say her name. If she's in the kitchen or running the fence we might as well be talking to a wall (but that's pretty well expected since our others are the same way). If she's just walking around outside she'll look at us. I guess we're pretty lucky that she likes to be around us, so she doesn't really go far--but she also would rather be inside than outside, which is going to be a bit of a problem when it stays warm since our dogs generally stay outside all day when it's warm. We've started leaving her outside with Bruiser longer during the day. They explore the backyard and jungle together and when Lily, the neighbors GD, comes outside they run the fence.

My goal for today is to completely clean and scrub the kitchen and then Dixie proof the counters, stove, and sink so we can let her off-leash in the house. I'm wondering if we give her the ability to investigate the kitchen on her own she'll eventually realize that there's nothing there for her to get, so it's not worth it. Right now she sees the junk piled up on the counter and knows that's where we make her food, so she's all about the kitchen.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Leigha wrote: 2. J got a face kiss--only one though, hasn't done it since. I keep telling myself she did it accidentally. Very excited that she's kissed someone, but kind of bummed it was him that got it. How stupid and juvenile, I know, but still. She's absolutely a daddy's girl.
J can get the first kiss, I am betting her first words will be mommy :lol:

very cool update. keep up the great work.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Nope, first word was FOOOOOOOOD