Update on my crazy baby!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

forkin14

Update on my crazy baby!

Post by forkin14 »

So it has been a whiiiiile since I have asked for help on the Training forum (thank goodness!) and that has A LOT to do with everyone on here! First off, I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions, insight, and having the patience to respond to my hundreds of questions haha! :D

Her crazy lunging behavior has stopped entirely! The only times she will do this is if she has not had enough exercise, but instead will just run like crazy around the room but no longer jumping and snapping at us. We started using the method of hooking the leash on her collar and putting her in time out, but she eventually would drop to the ground not budging an inch. So we then switched to US walking out for a few seconds, which worked great. I would also treat and praise her when she would sit calmly in front of the couch. We also figured we just had to banish her from the couch entirely since I got the impression she felt like she owned it. I got Cadence her very own little couch, that looks just like the one we have, put it in front of ours and she absolutely loves it! The only issue now is that she sometimes starts to attack her couch but I'll simply say "No! Go get a toy!" and she will immediately stop and go grab another toy we can play with.

Our recall is amazing! After struggling for a bit with her, never allowing her to get off the leash, I figured I needed to change the word. So instead of "Here!" it is now "Bye Cadence!", run in the opposite direction, and she will sprint to me as fast as she can, even if she is in the middle of sniffing something out! Today was the first day I let her off the lead outside and did not even have an issue telling her to go back inside. I also get the feeling that she can now sense I trust her, am more confident, and less frustrated when calling her back. Maybe that sounds crazy but oh well haha!

I think her behavior is partly due to her getting a bit older, but also from the positive training we've been using. The only issue is that she jumps on guests, but they won't listen to me when I say to just walk away from her and pay no attention to her :evil: Then they complain if Cadence scratches them.. I just say "Oh well, you don't wanna listen to me, suffer the consequences".
Mattie

Re: Update on my crazy baby!

Post by Mattie »

Well done, it is you that has got her to this stage, you have put the hard work in and are now benefiting from it. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you realise that your hooligan is a hooligan no longer but a dog that has manners. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

*applause applause*!!!!

Well done!

I have also changed my recall word to "close" - Murphy just got used to looking at me during our walks when I said "close", so now he'll come running when I say it! Of course, he's still on a long line and will probably be on a long line his whole life unless we're somewhere fenced in (we suspect he's part sighthound so I don't want to take any chances). Nevertheless, "close" has definitely become his recall word and it's stuck now. The other day we were at the pet store where they give him free lamb lung (ick but he loves it!) and loves him, asks him to do tricks because they know he knows how, etc. There were no other dogs in there at the time, the store is very small, and all the employees were doting on him, and he was only more than happy to sit and do tricks because they were all handing him treats! So I dropped the leash and let him walk around to everyone. I paid for my purchases and walked toward the door and said "Murphy, close!" and he came running - away from all the people with treats! I was so proud. :D

But I LOVE "Bye Cadence" - brill. :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Woo-hoo! AWESOME! :D :D :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.