Errol - has met TWO new people..

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mattie

Re: Errol - has met TWO new people..

Post by Mattie »

WOW Well done Errol for being such a good boy. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I've been following Errol's progress and I know it seems dumb but at first I couldn't wrap my mind around reading trouble that YOU are having, Ems. It's like a reality check. Dogs are dogs and they don't care if you're some regular person who knows nothing, or if you're "emmabeth from Victoria's forum". Well done for all the work you're putting in, Ems. And well done for Errol! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh yep, dogs dont care who you are or what you know, they will throw you a curve ball every time!

But today, Errol is lying happily in a room with two people who yesterday he hadnt seen for a year, hes chilled out enough to let me pick the tats out of his undercarriage (not something hes a huge fan of!)!

I think if I ever stop having difficult or interesting dogs, or stop making mistakes... I will stop learning! I don't tend to make the same mistakes TWICE these days but I can usually find a new boo-boo most weeks :lol:
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Soo. we survived the rest of the weekend without any real problems at all!

To my surprise, Errol remembered Mikes parents each time they came back to the house and he only had to have I think TWO time outs for doing his brattish 'demand you play with me now' barking sessions (though amusingly at one point it was easiest to send Mikes Dad out of the room for 10 seconds each time rather than Errol.... which Mikes dad did.... fair play to him, but he wasnt sure about it and thought we were taking the wee! He had to have a LOT of praise and reward for that :lol:)

Today Errol came with me to my friend Candys house, he goes there every week or so... he likes it, they have a kittycat...

Their kittycat is a norty bundle of feline evil who likes nothing more than dropping fluffy puppies into the doo-doo.... so she wound him up on purpose, hiding behind things and eyeballing him and each time he tried to ignore her she would bounce up on something and miaow at him or swat him (she really does LIKE doing this to him, when we walked in she ran up to him going 'prr prr' in his face!)...

He thought it might be a good idea to bark at her so he got a few time outs for that and figured shutting up might be better!

He also met Candys younger brother, he has met him on a few occasions but not at this house - he didnt do scaredy dog barking... he was distracted easily with treats. He did attempt a quick 'demand you play' session but again was distracted. He thought about freaking out when Mitchell was having his haircut and wearing the natty blue cape.. ( 'OMG his ARMS are gone and hes got a totally BLUE body...... !!!!!!') and then again when he stuck his arm out from under the cape ('OMG THERES HIS ARRM') but again... sweeties and distraction fixed that nicely.

Then he came to have a bath with me (well I had a bath.... he lay on the floor whilst kittycat could have the run of the hosue without being pounced on) and during my bath (our boiler is broken, i dont USUALLY bath at friends houses!) Mike came back so errol ran downstairs to find that DADDY WAS THERE!! oooh exciting..

Soo on the whole, some good experiences in the last 7 days! :D I am super pleased with him and I think we are turning a corner now with him generalising that people ARE safe certainly inside houses.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done Em, one day Errol is going to be the perfect pet dog because of all the work you are putting in with him. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I love reading about Errol's progress. Putting information in my file for my own use sometime. Thanks for the updates, Ems! :D