Sandy, chihuahua-eating from bowl on floor alone 2 wks

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DianeLDL

Sandy, chihuahua-eating from bowl on floor alone 2 wks

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi all,

I just thought you would like to know that now, I'm mixing the two kibbles still and intermittently will add pieces of chicken, but the key is he is eating it on the floor in his safe place while my husband and I do other things. He then has been coming to find us and direct us to see his empty bowl! :shock:

He seems to like eating on the loot in that spot so I see no reason to move the bowl anywhere else.

Thanks to everyone on the forum in the training advice for helping me and encouraging me. :D

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Ari_RR

Re: Sandy, chihuahua-eating from bowl on floor alone 2 wks

Post by Ari_RR »

DianeLDL wrote: He seems to like eating on the loot in that spot so I see no reason to move the bowl anywhere else.
Neither do I!
Excellent!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Glad to hear it! :D Sounds like he's getting a little more confident. Keep up your good work!

I just came across an interesting little post on the internet that talks about two different types of Chihuahuas: the applehead, what people are familiar with, and then the "deer" or "landrace" Chihuahuas. I wonder if Sandy is a deer chi? Looking at the pictures, I thought of a Chi x Italian Greyhound and then thought of Sandy....

Here are a couple sites with pictures to compare:
One
Two
Three
Four
And the post that brought this to my attention. :)

The FuglyDog blog is pretty interesting to look at, as long as you're in a frame of mind where you can deal with intensely, horribly bred dogs.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Erica,

Thanks! Yes, the vet and we agree that he is a deer chihuahua. They think he may have some Italian greyhound due to the way he runs and his barrel chest. But, his head and long legs definitely put him in the deer chihuahua part of the breed.
I've never heard of the landrace chihuahua which might explain his way of running. He can run quite fast and is a jumper. He went crazy running around my parents' family room and jumping up ove the back of the couch in the middle of the room. My parents and we stood looking at him totally astounded. He goes around the room barely hitting his feet on the armchairs as he goes around in a circle in their living room.

Tomorrow, I will check out your links. I'm always interested in learning more about what he could be, too.

Thanks again for your encouragement and photos of the deer and landrace chi. Never had heard of the "landrace" type. I will do more research. Anything to understand Sandy better will help us in helping him.

Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Erica,

I couldn't wait and had to check out your links. You are so right. Sandy does fit this deer/landrace chihuahua. :shock:

And, after reading the blogs with the photos, I can tell you that we got him in New Meixco near the Rio Grande one of the areas where it was pointed out that this type of chihuahua was bred! :D

Thank you so much. Maybe he isn't really a mix after all. People just assumed that since he was bigger with the longer legs, and can run that there had to be something else in him. He definitely has the chihuahua personality and was great to know that they have few medical problems than the smaller AKC chihuahua. Also, at Sandy's last weigh in he weighed 11.5 pounds. They told us he needed to lose weight, but he is all muscle and no fat. I checked his ribs the way someone mentioned to see if a dog was overweight and he isn't. Actually, he only weighed 9 pounds when we adopted him rom the shelter and we could feel his rib bones so we knew he was underweight at that point.

Can't wait to share this information with my husband tomorrow. He is sound asleep as I should be as I have an early doctors appointment. :lol:

I can't thank you enough. :D

Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Erica,

I talked with my husband who has been taking with a friend of his who has owned several chihuahuas including the deer chihuahua you mentioned and gave me the links.

Thank you so much since know it is helping me to work with Sandy knowing he is a chihuahua in the full sense.

See my post in training advice about working with Sandy on recall. I mention your help in this regard.

Thanks so much. Things are making more sense and will make training easier to fit Sandy. :D
Diane
Erica

Post by Erica »

:D Glad to help!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Erica,

Here is how he looks full body from last fall. His head is the deer head, but also you can see his longer legs and his curled chihuahua tail. This was taken last fall at our home in central Maine. He really enjoyed playing in the leaves. :D

Diane