buddy

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

buddy

Post by meggit »

well its been a long time since i was on here and not to sure if any of the old faces are still here but i do know that without all the help i had from nettle, mattie and emmabeth to name but a few i would not have the wonderfull life with my buddy that i do have its still a working job keeping up with him, but hes nearly 3 now and while he might not be the most obedient dog in the world he does do what i ask him to do most of the time (as long as there is no one else with food about that is) he runs off lead now most of the time (we still have issues with other dogs) and knows that if i go the other way fast he had better follow me or i just might eat that treat ive got in my hand myself (it really just goes in my pocket all hes figure out is it dissapears lol ) hes a happy, loved dog. The raw food diet is going fantastically and i follow nettle's advice to the letter if he looks skinny increase it a bit if he looks fat decrease it a bit and wow it works lol but honestly i would never have thought of something that simple is she hadnt pointed it out :D . We still try to train every day sometimes its just going over what we know and sometimes its to learn something new but hes such an eager to please dog training him is easy.I still have issues with him walking without pulling and that is a problem as i have problems in both my shoulders now so even my litte buddy can really cause me some pain when he pulls but i think im asking to much of him as he likes to walk in front of me not at the side of me so will be working some more on this :)
Nettle

Re: buddy

Post by Nettle »

Lovely to hear from you and well done! :D We can say the words, but you are the one who has to do it.

Buddy can walk wherever you like, as long as you are comfortable with it. A lot of people prefer their dogs in front, and as long as it is acceptable to you, there is nothing to correct.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Re: buddy

Post by meggit »

thanks nettle glad to see you are still here ive been reading the posts and loving the advice you give its allways the best.
buddy is happier walking in front of me so am going to leave it at that i think, i do know if i stop he stops and i dont have to say anything he feel the lead tension but other days hes too excited to get to the next smell and then i look like one of those people who is being Walked by their dog :lol: so its finding a happy medium that is the problem as now the weather is getting damper the pain in my shoulders is getting worse and seeing as i am the only person who can walk the dog some days (grandson cant move off xbox without physical and mental traumas (hes 12 what more can i say) and OH is too tired after his long day of sitting doing nothing (hes just retired so im giving him a week or twos grace) ) they both do manage to drag their sorry butts out sometimes lol but most of the time its just me but i do enjoy that its nice not having to talk to them sometimes :lol: