What one reactive dog achieved by at one point avoiding dogs

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

What one reactive dog achieved by at one point avoiding dogs

Post by jacksdad »

One of the steps often suggested here when providing advice for a reactive dog is to avoid the thing that scares the dog, such as other dogs or people. Often all that is heard is “avoid what scares the dog”. The impression is that that is all you do. Not so, but it's a very useful starting place. And later a very useful stress management tool. As one of the proponents of that step I thought I would share what Jack and I have achieved using the “avoid tool” among others.

Today was a local “dog festival” to benefit a charity for the vision impaired. This was Jacks first large outing along these lines since I have had him.

The local dog training club I belong to has been practicing a heel to music routine for this event and one other event later this month. And before you ask…no Jack and I are not doing heel to music. Not my thing, but we were there to play announcer and support the club. Jack’s job this year is to just be a relaxed dog and to just take it all in and trust me to protect him. During the routine his other job was to be in a down while sitting on the “side lines”.

Not only was it mission successful, but I think he actually had fun. Lots of classical conditioning and alternate behaviors was practiced. Pass a dog, treat. Look at me, treat. Choose to sit while I talked to someone, treat. Choose a down while I would just stand, treat. Choose to look at other dogs, treat. Come away from dogs, verse force a dog/dog encounter, treat. Basically the primary goal was to ensure a happy, relaxed, feeling good Jack so that he had a positive experience.

It did take a lot out of him, and so the next day or two we will not look for or encourage and do our best to avoid dogs that we do not know.

Here are some pictures I took on my phone.

The environment

Jack's response

I can’t promise your dog will achieve this, or if it can how long it will take. But I wanted to share this to hopeful illustrate that starting out avoiding dogs doesn’t mean your dog won’t make progress. Or that later your dog won’t ever be able to be around other dogs.
doggiedad

Re: What one reactive dog achieved by at one point avoiding dogs

Post by doggiedad »

nice job.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Jack and Jacksdad!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Look at that!!! :lol: :lol: Awesome job!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Don't know how I missed this when you first posted, but this is awesome!! :D Congrats on such an accomplishment to both you & Jack!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

WOW! That's JUST FABULOUS! :D
Maz

Post by Maz »

I've been following this advice and now Chico hardly reacts to other dogs (just the odd one who for some reason best known to himself he just can't ignore ...) and he actually has made quite a few friends now - still work in progress but thanks Jacksdad and well done!!!
meggit

Post by meggit »

i think this gives us all hope, all of us with reactive dogs that is i know from reading your posts from the beginning just how far you have come and i know from following what you have done with my buddy hes a lot less reactive now than when i first started on this journey with him and now im back on line i can just look back at all youve done to get where you both are now. im so impressed and pleased for you both
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I know this post is a few months old, but I wanted to say that this is so wonderful! Congrats to you and Jack.