Happy little Honey

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Muddypaws

Happy little Honey

Post by Muddypaws »

2 week ago I went to see 2 cocker spaniels. Her owners have had 1 of the dogs for about 1 year, although the vets says she is approx 5 or 6 years old. Honey was rescued from a puppy farm where she had been kept in a dark barn and bred season after season. She has teeth missing from lack of nutrients that she gave to her puppies. The RSPCA rescued 150+ dogs from this particular puppy farm, Honey was one of them.
It was actually the other dog I went to see but I taught the dogs owners to use positive reinforcement techniques to get the dogs out of certain behaviour such as barking at the door when going for a walk. Both dogs learnt really quickly and now that isn't an issue any more.

I went to do a check up call today and I was given the best news. Not only are the dogs well behavioured and the neighbours don't complain about the barking anymore but little Honey has learnt to play.

Honey has never played in the year her now owners have had her, and since leaving the puppy farm has just tootled along in her own little world, but since the start of the positive reinforcement training 2 week ago Honey who generally has never had any idea about life due to her first 5 years in a puppy farm now is even more happy and plays. I got really emotional and nearly cried when her owners told me how happy she has become.

It's the little things like that that make positive reinforcement training and my job so worthwhile. I'm now walking round with a big smile on my face all because Honey is happy and has started to play.
JudyN

Re: Happy little Honey

Post by JudyN »

:D Brilliant :D I bet the owners are thrilled, too.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009