Pobbles :)

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Carol.R.

Pobbles :)

Post by Carol.R. »

Hi,

I've only started one post on this forum so far, asking for help with my recently rescued Pobbles. I've done lots of reading and practicing since then, knowing that adopted adult dogs are sooo completely different than starting from a puppy! I am happy to say that we have made progress, and I wanted to share with you all, people I know have been down our road and then some. Thank you for your guidance and support, even when it was unknowingly given. :D

When we got Pobbles, he was good with all of our family, our 3 yr old bichon, Buster, but was not so happy with the 2 cats. I think the cats were partly to blame there... well, at least one of them... my little trouble-maker, Sammy. He stared at Pobbles a lot that first day when Pobbles was leashed to me, and I think it unnerved him a bit. The cats are now segregated until they can be safely co-mingled, which I do have high hopes for, since Pobbles now almost completely ignores the rabbit. We're taking the cat mingling really slow for now...

Okay, now for our success!!! :D From meal one, I had Pobbles sit and wait for his meals, just like Buster does. The first couple were shaky, to say the least, which is well expected from a shelter dog. After a few times we discovered that he had an easier time if he was laying down to wait, so for the next couple of weeks I had him lay down on his "spot" while I prepared their meals and set them down. He was a very fast learner, and is now amazingly patient while waiting for his food! Don't get me wrong here, he still watches me veeeery carefully to make sure I don't drop a single bite. lol :wink: Well, tonight's dinner was a little late... as I walked into the kitchen to start getting their bowls ready, Pobbles and Buster went to their spots without being told! I was so proud! :D

The first few days we thought it was soooo important to get this big dog his proper exercise, so we walked him... no, he walked us... twice daily until my hand was sore from leash burns and we were all frustrated. After consulting with the people here, I have stopped walking him. Instead, now I am loose-leash training him in our big front yard. He is doing really well with that, even when there are chickens or a turkey walking or making noises nearby. Today we had our best day ever, having made it out of the yard, down the driveway and up and down the road a bit in both directions! I decided to stop while he was doing well and called it a day then.

He is also doing much better about meeting people. That is, of course, a work in progress, but I am happy to see him not lose control and I am able to get his attention. He is still not in love with men, but I think lots of good interaction with my husband and two teenage sons will help him there, we'll work more on that later, as he's more confident and comfortable. He is happy to meet the girls, such a ladies' man! If my sisters or nieces come while he's in the house, I put him in my bedroom behind the tall gate. I have the girls come in calmly and stay by the door, and when Pobbles is sitting calmly (which is much quicker now- almost immediate) they can come to the gate for a hello. Then they back up while I have him "wait" while I open the gate. He waits for the release "okay" and then goes to say hello with a wiggly butt and a wagging tail! I originally had him wait on his "spot", but I think behind the gate in the next room makes him feel safer and helps me to keep the door clamor to a minimum.

Next up, he's due for a nail trim. :| I started a couple of days ago with bringing home new (bigger) clippers for him and treating him for looking/sniffing/touching. I was able to touch them to his paw & nails as long as a treat was involved, but that's a far cry from trimming. I don't want to back track any progress made by forcing him, so it's off to the boards for some more advice.

Pobbles with my son, Zach

Pobbles watching Scooby-Doo with two of my daughters & Buster
Erica

Re: Pobbles :)

Post by Erica »

Sounds like you're doing great! :) Good luck with the nail clippers!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Carol.R.

Post by Carol.R. »

Thanks, Erica :D

I found plenty of posts in regards to nail trimming. The Sophia Yin video I came across was a huuuuge help. Awesome. I watched it last night, showed it to my husband this evening, and after dinner tonight we clipped every one of Pobbles nails successfully! He made it easy~ will work for hot dogs is his motto. :P I knew if we did it in a positive way to begin with it would make future trimmings easier, and there's just no forcing a dog his size to do anything he doesn't want to do. (well, not for me anyways!) My husband moaned and groaned a bit over the amount of dog slobber coating his hand :lol: but he'll get over it. Hopefully after a few more times with his help I can do Pobbles nails on my own.

I am sooo happy to be training him with positive methods! This board is priceless. I can see him relax a bit more every day, and I feel more confident in my training & communication with him. He's wiggled that happy little butt right into my heart. :mrgreen:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Nails are tricky...Onyx has only recently let me start trimming his nails, as long as I'm not holding his foot while I clip them. :roll: I wouldn't try normally but his nails are pretty long...:(

Opal, however, is fine with me trimming her nails! :D Special yummy nail-trimming treats help, as you've found out. :lol:

And if your husband complains about slobber, don't let him see Zeus during training sessions! You could irrigate fields with his drool!
Carol.R.

Post by Carol.R. »

It amazes me the amount of drool that leaks out of this dog as soon as the treats come out. The first time I fed him, it was like someone had turned on a faucet! lol We keep lots of rags handy... :P

So now the cats seem to be our next biggest obstacle to work on... I'm thinking about getting some herbal calming bites for both the dog and the cats. That way they're all a bit calmer to begin with and we can work from there. Anyone think that might be cheating a bit, or is it working smart?
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Carol.R. wrote:now I am loose-leash training him in our big front yard. He is doing really well with that, even when there are chickens or a turkey walking or making noises nearby. Today we had our best day ever, having made it out of the yard, down the driveway and up and down the road a bit in both directions! I decided to stop while he was doing well and called it a day then.
Kudo's to you and Pobbles on all your successes!! But I especially love that once you had a good outing with the loose leash walking, you knew when to call it a day and end on a good note. :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Carol.R.

Post by Carol.R. »

Thank you :D
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Erica wrote:Nails are tricky...Onyx has only recently let me start trimming his nails, as long as I'm not holding his foot while I clip them. :roll:
Kinda curious....how do you not hold his paw? Do you have him put his foot on your leg? Max is okay with clipping, but hates having his paws held.
--dontpugme
Erica

Post by Erica »

I just walk up to him while he's laying down (he tends to lie on his side with his feet accessible) and I sit next to him and trim his nails (and treat after every clip!). I am still working on him letting me hold his paws so I can see if I'm getting close to the quick or something, but for now I'm just trimming tiny bits from whichever nail is longest.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

It sounds like you are making great progress!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.