Partner training!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Partner training!

Post by bendog »

Boyfriend is, it seems, finally starting to understand positive training.

He's always been tolerant of it. He very strongly believes all dogs need walking daily and would never harm a dog but has been prone to shouting at them if they bark because "they need to learn" and thinks I'm a bit barmy when I start making cardboard toys etc.

Anyway, he's been off this week and has filled the dogs Kong toys every day. He's been cheering Pops when she does a wee, (she is basically housetrained now, but he cheers anyway :lol: ) and talking about recall on our walk today he said "you have to be exciting when you call her or she won't come back"

- I'll let him carry on thinking that he's the one that taught me all this :wink:
jacksdad

Re: Partner training!

Post by jacksdad »

well done. want a crack at my family? :lol: though to be fair, they are getting better as they see all this "babying" works.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

bendog wrote:
- I'll let him carry on thinking that he's the one that taught me all this :wink:
This can be a very valuable thing to do all the way through a relationship/life!!!! :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

abbyneo wrote:
bendog wrote:
This can be a very valuable thing to do all the way through a relationship/life!!!! :lol:
Amen, sister!! :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
minkee

Post by minkee »

:D It drives me NUTS when my OH suggests to me something that I've said a million times that he would like or should try. Until he reads it in a review or hears it elsewhere it just doesn't exist! Well done for being able to turn this to your (and so everyone's) advantage. I don't think I could do it :D

It is lovely when people are on board :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Last night after Jasper had done something I asked, OH referred to me as 'alpha b****'. So I started explaining yet again how pack hierarchy, dominance, etc is wrong, out dated, and so on and so forth.

'Oh, I know,' he replied. 'I just like calling you alpha b****' :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Bendog, by setting a positive example!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.