Bringing toy back

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Bringing toy back

Post by Ari_RR »

This may sound silly to some.. Especially to those whose 4-legged family members enjoy playing with tennis balls and can spend hours bringing the ball back so they can chase it again... Or can even be tought to pick up toys from the floor into their toy basket!

Ari has never been into retreiving things. I guess he just doesn't see the point. But we've kept working on it, for a few months now, and I am happy to report that today he managed to bring the toy back to me consistently 6 (six!) times in a row! This is huge, this is bigger then Miracle on Ice!! I have a genius dog! Sweet victory! Very proud....
:lol: :lol:
Erica

Re: Bringing toy back

Post by Erica »

Yay! Some dogs are just too smart to understand why they ought to bring you something you've thrown away...but it sounds like Ari is smart enough to learn that humans are very strange creatures that want the silliest things! ;) Congrats!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh, good boy Ari, good boy :D

Ted happily plays fetch indoors, in fact he will bring a toy and drop it expectantly at my/anyone's feet to start the game. But outdoors the rules change, he will chase the ball with gusto but then he picks it up, drops it and moves onto the next interesting thing. Leaving muggins here to collect the ball, then he suddenly becomes interested again :roll: It seems if I want him to pay this outside I need to train him outside like I did inside (obvious I know :D ).

Interestingly my friends with the unruly chihuahuas asked me if Ted could fetch as theirs didn't and when I said it was hit and miss but I hadn't really put much effort into training that yet they looked at me as if I'd landed from the moon. What, train a dog to fetch, but they come ready made don't they :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
xconfusedx

Post by xconfusedx »

Well done you and Ari! :)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Ari! As an owner of one dog who could play fetch all day long and one dog who will take a toy and immediately drop it (That is if it is handed to her.) I have some idea how much work you have put into this. (Waaaaay more work than I have managed to put into my non retrieving dog.)

Congratulations!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.