Major Milestones!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Major Milestones!

Post by Erica »

I am quite happy today - had two major breakthroughs with the dogs.

First, I was with Ami and Zeus practically the whole day, since their little boy was sick. Ami let me cut away a couple tangles from between his back legs, which is an area he's very sensitive about! :) This will make desensitizing him to brushing this area much easier. He's happy to have it pet (his favorite place to be scritched is on his knees/the inside of his back legs) but the brush catches o his fur a bit, and with the tangles there he was not a very happy camper. To be clear, these tangles were not pulling on his skin when he walked or moved; if they were, I would have had someone help me remove them, or recommend his family to send him to the groomers, or made them my number one priority in training. They're just a bit inconvenient for full grooming. ;)

And as for the second, well...Onyx let me touch his claws! I've been working with him on letting me touch his paws, but today I was spending a couple minutes petting him and decided to see what would happen...he let me touch both of his front paws, no problem, so after a bit more of a massage/cuddle, I touched each of the claws on his closest foot, and he didn't even twitch! I didn't push my luck further, but spent a couple minutes more cuddling with him, and was just very very happy!

Also, Onyx continues to care less and less about Marble's presence. He let her sniff his ears and even his paws (which he used to be snarly about!) with no reaction. :) And Marble's quite good too...she came away from him when we called her, and left him alone after that. Just a general good day for the dogs I know!

Not doggy related, but good nonetheless: I convinced my parents to switch Emerald, the upstairs cat, to a better food, as she used to vomit a lot and had a very stinky litterbox, which sits right outside my parents' door. ;) This was helpful in convincing them that it was worth a try. Two weeks (I think) into the switch, Emmy's on 50/50 Taste of the Wild and old food, and she is very different, in a good way! Much less stinky, hasn't (knock on wood!) thrown up in at least a week, and...well, I got her a scratching post/perch over the summer. She loves sitting on it and hiding in the cave at the bottom, but there was a toy on it that she completely ignored. A couple of days ago I walked in and she had not only played with the toy, but pulled it off the string at torn it up! She's not normally a very playful cat, but I'm hoping it's because of her food. :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
WufWuf

Re: Major Milestones!

Post by WufWuf »

Yay for the animals - Well done Erica :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yay indeed! Especially for the cat! We have a non-playful cat also, this thing about playing with and ripping the toy apart is huge, a monster step forward!
Erica

Post by Erica »

:) I don't think I'd have been able to do it without all the wonderful people on this forum. :)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Good news indeed! Keep up the good work!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Emmaloo

Post by Emmaloo »

YAAAAAAAAAY, Erica!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Funny, some these things seem to be repeating today. Ami needs a good grooming (they must have let the dogs into the yard over break, or he's shedding his coat), but I didn't have time today (I'm going early tomorrow to make time), Onyx is letting me check his hurt nail every day without much fuss (mostly little "woofs," but it doesn't take long so mostly he barks after I'm done, haha). Marble is completely wonderful around Onyx - she'll give him a sniff and walk away, and if he wants to sniff her she lets him.

Emmy's change is most drastic of all. On the old food, changing her litterbox was a nightmare and honestly made anyone who did it a bit nauseous - the smell was that bad (the only thing that horrible I've ever encountered was a mostly-rotten deer carcass Onyx found in the woods). However, I changed her litter today and it was, dare I say it, NORMAL smelling! Not rosey-fresh, obviously, but it was just normal cat-litter smell. Dad is very happy about the TOTW. :) She's on 100% TOTW, and I'm going to start putting little piles on plates around my room so she starts to learn food can be found elsewhere, in preparation for hiding some of her daily rations so she has some enrichment when I'm not at home.