Kirby, potty, and leash training.

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Precious Kirby

Kirby, potty, and leash training.

Post by Precious Kirby »

We first started watching It's Me or the Dog when Kirby was a puppy, in order to get training tips. Taking on this cute little Beagle puppy was definitely a challenge.

Housebreaking: Kirby sleeps in a crate at night, and when he went potty outside, he was rewarded with chicken treats. He is immediately taken out if he makes a mess on the floor.
Leash training: On August 5, 2007, the day we got him, he had no clue whatsoever what this thing was on his neck or what a leash was meant for. That same day, we took him to a park, and used our other dog Precious as a reward for walking on the leash. He was so fascinated with her that he'd follow her regardless of the leash he was wearing. As for pulling, I took Victoria's advice and walked the other direction when he got a bit excited and pulled the leash (I felt at times that he'd break my hand! That's how hard he pulled.) I now have a zero-force muscle memory for walking him.
If you smell a flower and that flower smells good, what are the chances you'll smell that flower again?
jacksdad

Re: Kirby, potty, and leash training.

Post by jacksdad »

keep up the good work. kirby is a lucky pup