Semi success with barking in the car

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DawnStorm

Semi success with barking in the car

Post by DawnStorm »

Only because Flanders my Belgian Malinois is hard headed, thus proving the theory that dogs do resemble their owners after a while. The issue was this: I'd take the dogs to the dog park and the minute I turned off the main road, Flanders would start carrying on. Banshees were jealous, my right ear was protesting. [getting an Outback resolved that issue]. WWVD? (what would Vic do). I decided that every time Flanders howled and started sounding like a chimpanzee, I'd pull the car over until she shut up. Sometimes she'd only howl more, and there were times when I thought she'd never get the connection. But I hung in there, and she did learn that when she got quiet the car started moving. Yes she still gets anxious, but when the noise level gets too high--that is when it goes above simple whining--I pull the car over and wait.
Of course if Flanders had her way, I'd tear through the park at 80 mph and not care who I hit; there's always the chance of the dog park disappearing into the Twilight Zone y'know. Once we're there, she and Bruce just stand around and look at me. :roll: Go figure. But stopping the car when she starts going nuts has worked.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
jacksdad

Re: Semi success with barking in the car

Post by jacksdad »

Sounds like your making progress. for these "timeout" to have continued value, be sure to try your best to have a consistent threshold for when you apply it. don't be loose with it and say "today I can deal with a bit more", but tomorrow "I have a headache and want silence". do try to be as consistent as possible with what triggers the car pulling over.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I try to do that. What's weird is that when we have not been to the park in a while, I have to start all over. :?: I don't think it's a case of Flanders forgetting the training, it's her thinking maybe Dawn has forgotten that I howl like a freaking banshee once she turns off the main road!
Uh, no. I may be a little senile, but not that much! :P
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

ONe thing I would add which may help boost progress would be to reward the quiet times by more than just good dog and start driving. Wit my trio I started them off by making sure I had good treats and reward the times when they were calm and settled. We practiced to the point that they almost immediately settle after getting in and relax until we get to our destination....wherever it may be...training, trials, dog park, etc...
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

That's a good idea--thank you! :D
My current crew: