Recall

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Recall

Post by JudyN »

One minor issue we have with Jasper is when he goes out for bedtime wees and there's a 'something' (fox or cat) at the bottom of the garden. Sometimes he has a quick bark, other times I get the impression they're just the other side of the fence sticking their tongue out at him and teasing him, because he can be down there for aaaaages. Which would be OK but I don't want the neighbours to get fed up with it.

I can't go down and get him because he'd probably redirect onto me and certainly would if I grabbed his collar.

T'other night he was barking his head off and wouldn't come in, ignoring calls of his name, 'Sausage!', 'Wassis?' and so on. Eventually, though I don't like using his whistle when I don't think he'll respond, I called his name again and gave the usual three peeps on the whistle... and he came running in! :D :D :D Naturally, we then threw a party as if he'd just got a first in astrophysics, with lots of sausage being served!

This, I think, is down to keeping the whistle in reserve for 'special occasions', not doing it when I'm pretty sure it won't work, doing it usually just once but at a maximum twice (the first for him to lift his head and say 'Did I just hear something important?', the second 'Yes! My Mum NEEDS me!'), to reward VERY heavily with lots of praise and, if possible, not putting him straight back on lead so the fun ends.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Re: Recall

Post by Erica »

Woohoo! Awesome work Judy and Jasper :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Good boy J! :D
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is really good news!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS