Dirty Words (Regarding Dog Training/Behavior)

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Dirty Words (Regarding Dog Training/Behavior)

Post by wvvdiup1 »

One of the most contentious issues among dog trainers and indeed dog lovers is that of dog social behaviour. You cannot open a doggie book, turn on a doggie TV show or check out a doggie website without certain words being used ad nauseum in relation to dogs and their dealings with us and other dogs.

In this post I am going to discuss the use of words that I hardly dare utter because these are the dirtiest words in dogdom.
These words and the subsequent methodologies based on their use have done more damage (and continue to do so) to progress in dog training than anything else, as far as I’m concerned.
Uh-oh you say, should I send the kids to bed? Well not quite but I would like you to reconsider your use of these words for reasons that I will explain.

Argh! so what are these dangerously dirty words, you ask: dominance, alpha, pack and all terms associated with them such as “show him who is boss”, “put him in his place”, “become pack leader/alpha” and all that stuff…
To read more of this article from Pawsitive Dawgs, go to http://networkedblogs.com/ci2Bn
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown