Pets at Home dog training book dismay

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

runlikethewind

Pets at Home dog training book dismay

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi there

In the UK we have a massive retail company called Pets at Home. They stock a wide range of training books inc C Milan but I was in there today and I think it is about time a letter is addressed to the head office of this company because I stopped by for a good 30 mins flicking through the books - ones by Bruce Fogle and others I could not remember who I thought were more advanced in their thinking but it appears not.

Each book had sections about dominance and rank reduction programmes, doing time outs for displays of aggression, assuming readers understand the difference between fear and 'dominance' aggression. Each book went into great detail about dogs wanting to work their way above us and needing to be put into their rightful lower rank.

I think it is about time this new way of thinking and understanding is communicated to the masses - 1000s visit PAH stores each day. When you read the books, it is easy to almost get sucked back into that theory. Emmabeth.. I STILL think you should write a book!!!

Would Victoria be interested in addressing a letter to them? I'm happy to write in too.
Nettle

Re: Pets at Home dog training book dismay

Post by Nettle »

I agree Emmabeth should write a book - it would be a top book!

The problem with other training books is that they are just one person's opinion at the time the books were written. That person might change their mind later but the books still exist, still sell, and even if a new edition is brought out, the old ones still get sold and read and believed. Just like some dog trainers never update their ways and you could go to ten dog-training classes and find nine dominance-based trainers.

Getting the real message out is so hard even when you train for a living - everybody has heard about being pack leader :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Beckyyy

Re: Pets at Home dog training book dismay

Post by Beckyyy »

I think one of the main problems is that new dog owners get one, maybe two books and use those as their 'training bibles' living by every word they say and taking every word as the truth. Even if they are told otherwise they will still find it hard not to compare things to what they were originally told.