The "away" command

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jellybean

The "away" command

Post by jellybean »

Can someone please lead me to articles and or videos on how to teach a dog to go away on command? If you know how to do it, please go ahead and tell me.
Fundog

Re: The "away" command

Post by Fundog »

Do you mean the "go lay down and stop bothering me" command, or the "send" command, such as is used in retrieving and hunting and other work? One hint I can give you that works for both, is the verbal command combined with an arm gesture, swinging your arm out and away from your body, in the direction you want the dog to go. In retrieval work, we most common use the "find it" command, with the "send" arm gesture. When first teaching the dog, we often have to lead/lure them over to the place or places we mean for them to go, to show them, and then praise them generously. Eventually they "get it," and will do what you mean for them to do on command, without luring.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I remember Victoria taught "away" but it seemed to me like it was used very much for what "leave it" was used for.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's right, Leigha. It was for "Stains, the Cupcake Dog." Lol, that was such a mean trick to play on that poor dog. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

Yes, but there was also an episode with a Great Dane in which Victoria said "away" to get the dog away from the bed. I don't have T.V. anymore so I can't see any of the newer shows. Think Victoria will put them out on DVD?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, in the case of when you want to move a dog out of a certain space (like away from your bed, out of the kitchen, etc,) Victoria teaches her clients to move forward, body blocking and crowding into the dog's space and saying something like "back, out," or "away." When the dog gets to the "imaginary line" of what is acceptable, she praises and treats. Repeat this as many times and as often as necessary until the dog "gets it."
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I have to do this with the weenies when I'm cooking otherwise they're under my feet licking the floor. We've gotten to where I point and say "outta my kitchen" and they go sit on the other side of the fridge in the dining area and just look in. It's a lot easier than using a baby gate because the baby gate locks my fridge closed which makes cooking completely impractical.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

That should do it. Thanks