How to toilet train your puppy or adult dog.

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

slbose61

Re: How to toilet train your puppy or adult dog.

Post by slbose61 »

Thanks Mattie :D

We always have a play time after a potty training lesson or after a walk (he now demands it). That is how I was able to get him to play with toys...and he beginning to enjoy hide and seek, if I can tear him away from demolishing his toys, that is... :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

He is a terrier and that is what terriers do, you have a mix of 2 terrier breeds, good luck. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
slbose61

Post by slbose61 »

Mattie wrote:He is a terrier and that is what terriers do, you have a mix of 2 terrier breeds, good luck. :lol:
Gee thanks :lol: I've had Mini Schnauzers all of my life, so thankfully I understand the terrier crazies :twisted:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mini schnauzers are not terriers :twisted: you have a few grades up to go in terms of prey drive :lol: and general trying behaviour
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
slbose61

Post by slbose61 »

Nettle wrote:Mini schnauzers are not terriers :twisted: you have a few grades up to go in terms of prey drive :lol: and general trying behaviour
Nettle, I'm confused by your post. Per the AKC, Mini Schnauzers are in the Terrier group, http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_schnauzer/.

It's the Beagle that isn't a terrier, which is classified by the AKC as a hound, http://www.akc.org/breeds/beagle/.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They are classified in the terrier group by Show people, but they should actually be in Utility.

The only true terriers (by job and therefore by temperament) are those capable of working to ground. Unfortunately the Show world seems to be entirely ignorant of what a terrier is and does, and we get breeds like the Airedale which couldn't get to ground unless on something the size of which I never want to meet!! the English and Staffordshire bull breeds where they should correctly be 'bull-and-terrier' because this is the full and original name dating from when terrier was crossed into bulldogs to make them smaller and more agile, and we also have the Pit Bull which is a type not a breed and also derived from a slightly amended version of the bull-and-terrier.

Bet you wished you hadn't asked :lol: it was a good and sensible question with a long answer.

Several too-large terriers such as the Kerry Blue and the Wheaten should be in the Utility Group as well: their function was general above-ground vermin dog, and also they were used for fighting, hence can still be very dog-aggressive under the right (wrong) circumstances.

I AM pedantic :mrgreen: but the important thing is that temperament derives from task, and a terrier of a going-to-ground breed is going to be a whole heap more of sassy reactive no-reverse-gear dog than a 'terrier' which is really a farm rat-catcher and general companion.

I hope that makes sense: ask again if it doesn't. I'm trying to avoid being boring and going on too much :wink:

slbose61

Post by slbose61 »

Wow Nettle, thank you for the education, and no, it wasn't boring at all! I will admit I had to look up the definition of "pedantic" :lol:

So I will rephrase my original statement to, "If what is thought to be terrier in Preston is actually a Mini Schnauzer, I am quite familiar with the Mini Schnauzer crazies :twisted: "
minkee

Post by minkee »

Thanks for that Nettle! Ever since going camping with my friend and his Black Russian Terrier - I've always wondered how the hell both Scout and Nikki could both be classed as 'terriers'. Especially as I assumed the word came from 'terre' - french for earth. The size difference is huge!

double-ended-dog by minkee., on Flickr
ImageImage
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It comes from the Latin 'terra' = ground.

There is a C14 Hunting Treatise called The Boke of St. Albans by Dame Juliana Berners where she refers to "small terours that do creep beneath the ground".

The use of terriers to ground originated (again!) in Britain, and from here spread terriers to many parts of the world, often used in the original way, to bolt or kill vermin underground.

elliejay

Post by elliejay »

Hello
I have just joined the forum and am looking for some toilet training advice
I have read this very helpful information and questions but still have some problems
We have an 8 month old miniature dachshund puppy, we had her in November/December when it was very cold and the breeder said it was too cold to take her outside.
we began by giving her a confined area and puppy pads, but gradually she managed to find "nicer" carpets and rugs.
Now we are really having trouble in getting her to go outside. You can wait for hours and she won't do anything. The only time she will go outside is if the door is open and she can go when she wants to. She won't do anything if you take her for a walk, even off the lead, she will wait till she gets home! We therefore never get the chance to praise her for being good and the urge to scold when she goes in the house is becoming harder and harder to ignore.
Keeping the door shut and letting her out has not had any effect, she will wait until you are distracted for a few seconds (if you have to go to the toilet yourself) and then wee on the floor.
Unfortunately night times are a problem. She sleeps on the floor next to my bed (leaving her downstairs causes her to howl constantly, wee and poo and then trample in it)
I have bad arthritis in my knees so I'm unable to take her out in the middle of the night.
Unfortunately therefore I have had to resort to a puppy pad in the bedroom which is re-inforcing in her the fact that it's ok to go inside
Any ideas would be welcome
Many thanks
Ellie
:?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

elliejay wrote:Hello
I have just joined the forum and am looking for some toilet training advice
I have read this very helpful information and questions but still have some problems
We have an 8 month old miniature dachshund puppy, we had her in November/December when it was very cold and the breeder said it was too cold to take her outside.
I know someone who breeds these dogs and her pups are expected to go outside as pups, it is a pity the breeder told you to do this.
we began by giving her a confined area and puppy pads, but gradually she managed to find "nicer" carpets and rugs.
Now we are really having trouble in getting her to go outside. You can wait for hours and she won't do anything. The only time she will go outside is if the door is open and she can go when she wants to. She won't do anything if you take her for a walk, even off the lead, she will wait till she gets home! We therefore never get the chance to praise her for being good and the urge to scold when she goes in the house is becoming harder and harder to ignore.
At 8 months old she is a teenage hooligan going through her second fear period, keeping her outside for hours won't work, she doesn't understand why. At her age she should be going about the same time every day give or take some minutes. Try and notice at what times she toilets and take her out at those times, if she does't look like going after a few minutes, back in again and watch her, as soon as she shows signs of toileting, outside again. I would have a house lead on her to save time clipping a lead on, you can just pick the lead up and lead her outside. If you keep doing this she will toilet outside. Lots and lots and lots of praise and very high rewards.
Keeping the door shut and letting her out has not had any effect, she will wait until you are distracted for a few seconds (if you have to go to the toilet yourself) and then wee on the floor.
If I am toilet training a dog I have the dog with me when I go to the toilet, they can't do it out of sight then.
Unfortunately night times are a problem. She sleeps on the floor next to my bed (leaving her downstairs causes her to howl constantly, wee and poo and then trample in it)
I would have her in a crate next to my bed, you won't be trampling in any wee or poo then, it will be inside the crate. I have waterproof beds for my crates which can be hosed down or put in the bath and let the water run over them while cleaning them, much easier than trying to clean my feet.
have bad arthritis in my knees so I'm unable to take her out in the middle of the night.
Unfortunately therefore I have had to resort to a puppy pad in the bedroom which is re-inforcing in her the fact that it's ok to go inside
Any ideas would be welcome
Many thanks
Ellie
:?
A crate will be better than the pads, she won't like lying in the wee and poo so will start to hold it, get rid of those puppy pads, while you have them the temptation is too much to put one down.

Several of us have mobilty problems so understand that these do limit what we do, I have had one hip replaced, my other is going and so is both my knees but I can get my dogs out during the night if necessary.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
elliejay

Post by elliejay »

Many thanks for the reply Mattie
I will set aside a few days and really concentrate on the training
Should we limit the areas she is allowed in downstairs ?
It seems that if we do as soon as she gets chance she will go to one of the blocked off areas.
The times we have tried her in a crate she has done a wee almost immediately, possibly because she has a fear of being left in it. Then she will howl even if we are right next to her, so I'm really not sure how to go about getting her to sleep in a crate.
The problem with getting downstairs is that I need both hands to hold the rails and therefore can't carry her. If I put her down she will wee on the stair carpet as that is lovely and absorbant !
The times she has relieved herself in the garden she will try to cover it up. Is this significant ?
She also suffers from separation anxiety. we have tried the suggestions but nothing is helping at the moment. If I start taking her everywhere with me do you think that this will be made worse ?
We are getting to the tearing our hair out stage now as we can't leave her so can't go anywhere together and can't take her with us to other peoples houses !
Before we had her we used to have rescued greyhounds, we had five at one time. Much easier to house train !!
Ellie
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

From Greyhounds to Dachsunds, not much difference :lol:

Stop the carrying her, this could be making her more anxious, many dogs don't like being picked up but will happily jump up onto your knee if you are sitting down.

You can attach her to your waist so you can watch her, once you see her moving to toilet you can get her out quick, just walk as fast as you can to the door. My little girl, Working Cocker/Dachshund can open the doors in my house I have bolts on them now so blocking off rooms may not work.

Try and tire her out before going to bed, do a search for mind games on here and play them with her, they are very good for tiring a dog out. Take her for a walk to help tire her out. I feed mine before going to bed so they have a full tummy, much easier to sleep if their tummy is full.

What are you cleaning up with? White vinegar or biological washing liquid or something from a pet shop will take the smell away from a dog as well as us, most normal household cleans stop us from smelling it but dogs still can. Most have armonia in as well which says to a dog, "Come and wee here" :lol:

I took on a new dog in January who as SA, the normal methods didn't work so I started to take him with me as much as I can, I am lucky the nearest supermarket has a very shaded area in the car park if I go at 9am. If I can't take him I give him a raw meaty bone to chew on, sometimes 2 if I expect to be gone for a while. The last 2 times he hasn't done any damage, it is working. He is also getting more independent, he no longer stays with me when I move round the house but goes off and finds some mischief to get into, he is moving to being independent of me.

I wouldn't worry about her covering it up when she goes in the garden, some dogs do that.
elliejay

Post by elliejay »

Hi Mattie
I tried not putting the puppy pad down last night.
When she got up I immediately got up and tried to persuade her to come downstairs, she was having none of it, she refused to move off the top landing even when I put a lead on her.
I managed to carry down one flight of stairs and wake my husband who is deaf, he carried her down the next flight and took her outside.
NOTHING.....she didn't have a clue why she was out there !
Three times we tried this with no success
We are both very tired this morning
Any ideas ??
Ellie
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would crate her, she needs a nice comfy bed inside the crate, have the crate next to your bed so you can talk to her if she starts to cry. Dogs don't like to toilet were they sleep.