Double Trouble - Two puppies at once?..

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helen2009

Re: Double Trouble - Two puppies at once?..

Post by Helen2009 »

What a fantastic post. I agree 100% with everything that has been said. I used to belong to a border terrier forum and I lost count of the number of times new people posted saying they had two siblings and they had started to fight and what could they do. More often than not one dog had to have veterinary treatment for severe wounds. Every single time, the owners of littermates had problems. I also know of a lady who used to attend my old dog training class. She was sold two JRT b*tch littermates by the breeder for a discount. The rest is history. The story is heartbreaking, as they just want to fight half the time and the owner is too upset to part with them. The are also extremely dog reactive. So sad, but I blame the breeder. She was told it would be fine and she believed him. I urge anyone to think twice about getting littermates (especially terriers!!). If any breeder tries to convince you otherwise, run for the hills I say!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You are so right - good breeders don't let people take two siblings unless circumstances are exceptional (very knowledgeable new owners with the time and commitment to train and exercise the dogs separately - and even then this only works with opposite sexes or male pups).

Unfortunately, so often the good breeder says 'No' and so they go to a bad breeder :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Constantina

Post by Constantina »

Hi, everyone. I came across this thread because obviously I am having problems with the 2 puppies I have. I have to say that I already had the puppies before I actually found out that getting 2 puppies (and they're both female, littermates almost 2mos old) would pose a lot of problems, not just for us but for the dogs as well. Right now, I am considering having one of them rehomed but I'm really having a hard time picking which one should be away. Sigh.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Constantina can you start a thread in the training section giving as much information as you can including food, what type and how often, training, what type and how often, exercise, what type, how often and for how long. As much information as you can, the more you give the better help we can give you.

In the meantime if your dogs are fighting keep them apart, preferably were they can't see each other.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Constantina wrote:Hi, everyone. I came across this thread because obviously I am having problems with the 2 puppies I have. I have to say that I already had the puppies before I actually found out that getting 2 puppies (and they're both female, littermates almost 2mos old) would pose a lot of problems, not just for us but for the dogs as well. Right now, I am considering having one of them rehomed but I'm really having a hard time picking which one should be away. Sigh.
My advice would be to go back to your breeder and talk it through. If the breeder is reputable then they should offer to take the puppy back and rehome it for you. What a difficult situation for you...
anniespup

Post by anniespup »

Hello! I'm happy to find this site and hopefully some good advice. Help please!

We recently brought home two male pupies from the same litter. My husband and I felt that as they were the last of the litter we would be doing a wonderful thing by raising these beautiful puppies in our loving home. They are currently 10 weeks old. The first week was a lot of work (which we were ready for) but very rewarding and the puppies seemed playful, and happy. This week we have noticed a big difference in their behavior with their play biting becoming more aggressive. Likewise, the larger of the pups began to stake out a place under the couch and became territorial of this space. If I or other family members tried to pick him up he would growl and bark....hasn't bitten, but we are careful. The younger pup continually tries to mount the larger (dominance?). With the changes, we began researching and contacted a professional trainer and have implemented separate eating, crating, walking, playing etc. Sadly, we realized that taking two puppies at the same time is not a good thing for the dogs or the family. :( Our hearts are sad, but we have been searching to re-home one of our beloved little puppies. We are new dog owners, so please forgive our mistake. Nonetheless, help or advice would be most appreciated.

How does one 'choose' what is the most suitable puppy for our family. Our only hesitation with the larger pup is his territorial behavior under the couch. Is this normal? Is this aggression redirected at us, because he is at odds with the younger male? Will it go away with training?

Thanks, Annie
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The issues you describe can be sorted out with training and behavioural modification (and learning to understand your dog).

As to picking which to keep and which to rehome, my personal feeling on this, morally, is you rehome the one that will be EASIEST to find a home for, which means keeping the one thats going to be harder work.

If thats the one thats guarding under the couch, fear not we can help with that. Come and post in the dog training advice area about him please.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
anniespup

Post by anniespup »

Thanks so much for your advice!
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

emmabeth wrote:
First, ask yourself why two puppies seems a better idea than one puppy?

The top answer is because 'two will keep each other company'. Now ask yourself why you need them to keep each other company - would that be because you arent going to be there so much?
well its not like youre gonnna be home ALL the time!! of course youre gonna leave your house. so ya. 2 puppies will give eachother company.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Missing the point somewhat sj96skittles - did you read the whole article, or just pick out random bits, out of context, to deride?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Well its soooooooooooo loooooongggg. But i read most of it. Just an opinion. I dont think ts a bad thing to get siblings cuz when we go out theyll keep eachother company. Plus we got our dogs before reading this article. Oopsie!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Can I suggest you read ALL of it - because this idea that its good to get siblings to keep one another company is a BAD idea for 99% of people.

Believe me, when you see the results of litter mates falling out as they reach sexual maturity and see what happens when two bitches decide to kill one another, or how it RUINS peoples lives when they have to keep two dogs who HATE the very sight of each other totally seperate, you get to see how serious it is.

Honestly, I don't write these articles to annoy people or wind them up, I write them because it is the truth - for most people, litter mates or even similar aged pups together is a REALLY bad idea and will end up with the owners having a miserable time, two horribly untrained dogs who have a miserable life, or worse, one dog being rehomed or even worse, one dog KILLING the other.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Years ago I took on a dog that had killed another dog and she had to be monitored all her life because having killed one other dog she was keen on repeating the process. It was enormously stressful and I wouldn't do it again (that's what you get for helping someone out :roll: ).

Couple of years ago I worked with another dog that had killed FOUR dogs. Trust me, Emmabeth is right - keeping littermates is a bad idea.

As far as company goes - all dogs should learn to manage being on their own. Because sometimes a dog has to stay at the vet, or dies, and the other dog that has never been alone has to suddenly adjust to being alone all the time, whereas if being alone had been introduced gradually from early days it would be used to it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You are pretty lucky that your two bitches haven't fallen out yet - but you have admitted in the last post you made about them, that they are REALLY hard to manage and its much easier to work with them seperately, but its really hard to do because they are so bonded to one another that they yell the place down when you split them up.

The sad fact is, that if you are out 8/9 hours of the day, and when everyone is home you have commitments or are tired - a dog is not really suitable, and getting two to make up for the fact they will be alone is a false 'fix' for the problem.

I realise that you know this NOW and you didn't know this when you were younger and wanted a dog and your parents made the decision to get two dogs at once, so you do have to make the best of the situation you are now in.

But honestly - don't you think it would be easier to manage just ONE dog? (And don't forget I know how hard it is to manage multiple dogs, I have five. But I had to wait until I was an adult with my own home to do this, and to do it I chose to work from home so I could spend more time with my dogs. It means i never get a vacation and my house is not a clean shiny show home, but it is worth it to me!)
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Ya. It does seem easier having 1 dog but my parents wanted 2 dogs. I cant control what they want. We already got them. Its a done deal.