Clicker Training - Heres How!

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bella'smom

clicker training with 2 dogs

Post by bella'smom »

Probably a dumb ?, but I have 2 bichons and the oldest, Lucy, I clicker-trained. My newest addition, Bella, a 10 month old bichon has not been introduced to the clicker. Do I need to separate them when working on clicker training?

Thanks!
Mollysmom

Re: clicker training with 2 dogs

Post by Mollysmom »

bella'smom wrote:Probably a dumb ?, but I have 2 bichons and the oldest, Lucy, I clicker-trained. My newest addition, Bella, a 10 month old bichon has not been introduced to the clicker. Do I need to separate them when working on clicker training?

Thanks!
No such thing as dumb questions so long as you're honestly trying to learn :D
And yes, its always best to work one on one when training. less distraction for you and the dog, plus it gives you a couple minutes a day where you can bond with one dog independent of another
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
bella'smom

clicker training 2

Post by bella'smom »

Thanks - that's what I thought!
Touch a Bichon and you have touched a bit of Heaven! Hold a Bichon and you have held the World! Love a Bichon and you will love life forever!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

This week I taught Murphy his first non-obedience trick - pretending to be sad!

It took me three days (four 5-7 minute sessions), starting by putting him in a down and then luring his head down to the floor (on top of his paws) with the treat. He started out picking his head back up immediately after getting the treat. By the third session he was putting his chin on his paws with just a hand gesture and staying with his head down. By the fourth session I added the cue "Are you sad?" and now he can do it without any hand gestures at all. I just have to make sure I say the words with the same inflection every time. I'm so excited and my friends think it's really cute! :D Not to mention, it's a good way to get him in a down-stay. :wink:

I wonder if this will work:

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30021457 ... vhost=pets
Hope

Post by Hope »

Does anyone have a favorite type of clicker? Some are louder than others, some are awkward to handle...

What type do you use? Do you love it?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I use a short blast on a dog whistle instead of a clicker, as I like to keep my hands free, and I've found that my timing is more precise with the whistle. Once my dogs know a behavior, I'll also use a vocal "good!"

I have started training my mutt with a clicker, with the eventual goal of having a unique marker for each of my three dogs. For that I use an i-Click. It's not as awkward as the regular boxy tabbed clicker, and since it's quieter it's less objectionable to the family.
Suzie R

Post by Suzie R »

Why is this Subject marked "Sticky" by the moderator?
Does it go against Victoria Stilwell's methods?
Is it something she advises against using?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Sticky means it stays at the top for everyone to be able to view without having to scroll back through several pages of posting.
Suzie R

Post by Suzie R »

Wonderful. It's my new bible
purplepan

any suggestions?

Post by purplepan »

I'm trying to clicker train my two dogs, but they are terrified of the clicking sound and now the clicker. I've only tried once but am afraid that if I try clicking to get them used to the sound it will later be detrimental to training.
any alternative to the clicker or solutions? I tried tape to mute/soften the sound, and it's gotten a little better, maybe they will just get used to it with time?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Try having the clicker in your pocket so it isn't as loud or the click of a pen, again it isn't as loud. The top of baby jars is another.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
PSnyder

Post by PSnyder »

Fortunately, until now I've never had to use clicker training, but now I feel it's an option I have to try. We've adopted a 6 yr. old female Sheltie who is at the moment, very confused and unhappy because we aren't who we're supposed to be. To complicate matters we had a severe storm last week that had rain blowing very hard against the house and it scared her. Now she doesn't want to go out in the yard when before all I had to do was say "you need to go potty" and she'd head for the door. She's not much on treats if she's upset, so I'll start with the clicker this evening when she's feeling a little lazy and go from there.
One trick I saw, never tried it, but had a friend who used it. Her dog would not respond to a clicker, no matter what she tried. One day she was in Michael's and while going through the aisle that has things to decorate sweatshirts & such she spied a small music box button that can be attached to clothes. It was about 1" across and when pressed, played a short tune. She thought, what the heck, I'll try it and it worked. The dog wouldn't respond to the clicker at all, but that little music box did the trick. So..if you have no luck with the clicker it's something that you might want to try. I'm going to keep that in mind in case our little girl doesn't do well with the immediate plan.
agilityqs

Re: any suggestions?

Post by agilityqs »

purplepan wrote:I'm trying to clicker train my two dogs, but they are terrified of the clicking sound and now the clicker. I've only tried once but am afraid that if I try clicking to get them used to the sound it will later be detrimental to training.
any alternative to the clicker or solutions? I tried tape to mute/soften the sound, and it's gotten a little better, maybe they will just get used to it with time?
Start with one dog at a time. Have a whole lot of yummy treats. Just sit there and click and treat as fast you can. Toss the treats if you need to. Do not ask anything of your dog. You are simply showing them dog means treat. And don't point the clicker at the dog. When started out lots of people use the clicker like a remote and point it at the dog. You can even click behind your back. Do this several times a day for a minute at the most until they realize click is something good. It doesn't usually take long.
Lauralyn
Cheyenne (Lab) MX MXJ, MAD SAD JM GM RM
Lakota (BC) AX AXJ, AAD SM TM, PT
APACHE (BC) PT JHD
agilityqs

Re: any suggestions?

Post by agilityqs »

purplepan wrote:I'm trying to clicker train my two dogs, but they are terrified of the clicking sound and now the clicker. I've only tried once but am afraid that if I try clicking to get them used to the sound it will later be detrimental to training.
Start with one dog at a time. Have a whole lot of yummy treats. Just sit there and click and treat as fast you can. Toss the treats if you need to. Do not ask anything of your dog. You are simply showing them dog means treat. And don't point the clicker at the dog. When started out lots of people use the clicker like a remote and point it at the dog. You can even click behind your back. Do this several times a day for a minute at the most until they realize click is something good. It doesn't usually take long.
Lauralyn
Cheyenne (Lab) MX MXJ, MAD SAD JM GM RM
Lakota (BC) AX AXJ, AAD SM TM, PT
APACHE (BC) PT JHD
manda.sue

how to incorporate.....

Post by manda.sue »

Any suggestions on how to incorporate clicker training with the heel command? In other words, I'd like my dog to walk with me on our walks (next to my left hip) instead of walking me. Also, how could I use it to train him not to jump on people when he greets them?