Doesn’t Play With Toys

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Herman

Doesn’t Play With Toys

Post by Herman »

I recently adopted an adult min pin/chi mix who is used to playing with other dogs and their toys in his foster home. He’s the only dog in my home and is uninterested in toys now. We’ve tried using a little peanut butter and some treats in a puzzle toy but he’s obese and needs to lose the extra weight as quickly as possible. Is there a way to get him interested in the toys I bought for him?
Blessings
Ari_RR

Re: Doesn’t Play With Toys

Post by Ari_RR »

Our boy is not that much interested in his toys either. However - always interested in stealing things that don't belong to him. For example - leave a pair of socks unattended, and you are up for some good workout chasing him through the house. Just saying - try different things.... some paper bags to shred? If not interested - perhaps put some treats inside a paper bag, so he has to either figure our how to get them out, or rip the bag apart? Trial and error approach...
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Herman

Post by Herman »

Thanks. :D
Blessings
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My dog isn't that interested in toys either, though he does occasionally enjoy chewing rope limbs off them, or removing their squeaks. Keep giving yours opportunities - he may get into toys once he's had longer to settle in, or me may simply not be interested, which is fine too.

Personally I'd be wary of encouraging a dog to steal items and run away with them as they might one day do it with something that could cause them harm. I spent so long training my dog to bring me things he'd stolen, I wouldn't want to undo that!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've never had dogs that were interested in toys either. It might be that the fosterer has misinterpreted what is actually taking place between the dogs (no criticism - few people read dogs accurately) and yours is a dog who doesn't much care about toys - which is far better than one that is toy-obsessive IME.
The paper-shredding to find a tiny treat as Ari suggests may well be the way for him to have fun, or he might enjoy following scent that you have laid for him (I think we have a sticky on how to do this somewhere).
As he is new to you, he may well still be finding his feet, and trying to play with him or get him to play on his own might not be what he needs just now. The hardest thing for us humans to do is nothing, but it's possible that it is the best for him while he adjusts.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Herman

Post by Herman »

Thank you, Nettle. You’re right about doing nothing being hard, I hadn’t thought about it that way. I want to help him but maybe I should just let him settle in. He’s so sedentary, possibly due to his being very overweight, that I wanted to get him active. I should probably let him get more comfortable with us. Thanks again. :D
Blessings
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

It may also be that he will become more active as a result of losing weight, not the other way around.... So, perhaps reduced food intake and just let him settle in is worth the shot, and see how things progress.
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Herman

Post by Herman »

Thanks, Ari_RR. I think you’re right about letting him settle in. :D
Blessings