Independence vs safety

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Independence vs safety

Post by Shalista »

Hey so victoria posted on fb an article written by this guy which included a link to this video http://nbn.absolute-dogs.com/3-minute-gamechanger-focus

To summarize the video its all about getting the dog to focus on you and create a safe space around you so that the dog A) feels safe when he's reactive and another dog is nearby and B) feels more inclined to recall because being by you is the greatest place ever.

Initially i was really excited. I feel like bax feeling safer might make him more outgoing when we're outside and i vowed to start work immediately.

buuuutttttt......

I'm a little hesitant to create a velcro dog. Bax already borderline has separation anxiety. Do I really want to make him THAT much more attached to being around me? Is there such a thing as a dog that's to attached? that's to in love with being with their owner? Are there downsides to a dog thinking next to you is the greatest place on earth?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Re: Independence vs safety

Post by Shalista »

So i tried it bax liked it okay, hey free treats, whats not to like?

Then i tried it with Ki and Ki was OBSESSED. man he is like the poster child for food motivated. His favorite cause of death is obesity, seconded only by diabetes.

It was fun and i enjoyed it and it seems to be a great way to work more treats into bax's diet. he's been looking a little thin lately so yay!

Only downside is that i lost a treat into a crack behind the radiator and i can't get it out. i cant feel it with my fingers OR see it but its driving bax NUTS trying to get it out. (EDIT: a vacuum cleaner fixed my problem. I opened the bag to make sure i got the treat and it was there so hopefully he will be able to sleep in peace now)

and while Ki was down he nosed the door to Bax's room open letting bax out... and peeing on Bax's door. keeping it classy ki.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I started watching the video but they spent more than three minutes explaining that this three minute game was a good idea and then I had to leave :lol: I'll have to watch the rest tomorrow and see what they're doing before I can judge if this could make separation anxiety worse, though.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yeah they spend waaaayyy more time talking about what the video is then you know, what the video is. you can freely skip forward, most of the video is them doing their best used car salesman impression :roll:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Shalista wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm I'm a little hesitant to create a velcro dog. Bax already borderline has separation anxiety. Do I really want to make him THAT much more attached to being around me? Is there such a thing as a dog that's to attached? that's to in love with being with their owner? Are there downsides to a dog thinking next to you is the greatest place on earth?
The #1 step I hammer home as best I can with clients...keep your dog feeling safe. if they are feeling safe, they aren't anxious. the less anxious, the more receptive to training they are.

I always make a pact with the dogs I am working with, (as a reminder to my self of what they need. they haven't a clue I do this..until I start doing it) and that being...I will protect you. if they could deal with the world..I wouldn't have been sought out and now in their life. So until they can learn how to deal with the world...I will protect them whenever I work with them.

So doing something to keep your dog safe AND feel safe is an excellent idea. However...your dog MUST view what you do as creating safety. if they don't, your actions are a wast of effort. So let your dog guide you a bit here.

I would not worry about "too attached". even with the concern about SA, i would still not worry about.

I do not personally think there are any down sides to your dog thinking being next to you is the greatest place on earth.

While these are valid concerns and questions, if you have a good plan, they should not be issues.

A confident dog will not be anxious about you not being around. AND you can always build in as part of your training plan, conditioning and skills for you being away from them.

A dog that you train to be next to you, can also be trained to "go do something else" right now. So again, you proactively address the possible "Velcro" concern.

as for what is in the video I didn't watch it, so I can't comment on what they say/suggest. But the concerns you express are commonly expressed ones even without this specific video.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Bravo, Jacksdad!

I'd like to underline that we need to be driven by what the dog thinks is safe or unsafe if it is to trust us. It's no good taking a 'don't be silly,that's a nice dog/child/python' attitude. If the dog says it is scared, we need to listen, and take it to a Safe Place, which is the distance at which the dog feels safe. That's why I don't use LAT or BAT. In the right hands these are great but there is too much scope for someone less perceptive to keep the dog too close to trigger. If a dog is too close and gets scared then faith in the handler is seriously affected.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS