the power of pstive training

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

the power of pstive training

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

ever since I read an article on the power of positive training it has got me so interested in learning more as I will be hopefully getting a GSD in 3-4yrs time (I decided to not rush and want to do research on breeders first).

for example I did not know that there was no such thing as a pack leader or that members of the pack are not ranked as I did see this in an old episode of its me or the dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUREXCizjb0 I rember at one point in the show Victoria places a pyramid on the fridge and tells them that they must be at the top and diesel at the bottom?

and I did not know that there is no dominance ?

I really just want you to tell me as much as you know so I can learn.
JudyN

Re: the power of pstive training

Post by JudyN »

Theo400 wrote:I really just want you to tell me as much as you know
That would take several members weeks, if not months or longer :shock: Plus most of it is already on the forum. Start with all the stickied threads in each section, which will link to several other threads & resources, use the search facility for areas you're particularly interested in, and follow posts as they appear.

I have heard of multi-dog households where there is an apparent hierarchy, with some dogs deferring to others. But this can be quite fluid and, more importantly, it is not something the 'top dog' imposes through aggression. It's more like a rule they have adopted to prevent any misunderstandings or aggression, and 'top dog' may differ for different resources - just as, being boringly stereotypical, I will defer to OH on what car to buy, he will defer to me on what curtains to buy. Though if either of us was being unreasonable (2-seater with no room for the dog, curtains with huge orange flowers), aggression could well result :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

As Judy was saying, it's can be fluid who gets what resource in a multidog household...

Take Ami, Zeus, Pip, and Tal for example.

With food:
Zeus will share food with Pip and Tal but will not let Ami share.
Ami will take food from Pip and Tal.
Pip will take food from Tal.
Tal will not take food from Pip.
Nobody takes food from Ami.

With toys:
Ami will take toys from everyone else.
Zeus will take toys from Ami.
Zeus will try to take toys from Pip and Tal, but does not always succeed.
Pip will take toys from Tal.
Tal will take toys from Pip.
Pip and Tal can both take toys from Zeus.

So in general, Ami's a a more jealous sort and wants to claim resources even if he doesn't care about them. He's a resource guarder with other dogs. Zeus is big and persistent enough to wear through Ami's determination if Ami has something Zeus wants. There's no clear "one dog gets everything;" with Ami, he usually gets resources most because he cares about them most - but when Zeus cares, Zeus gets what he wants.

The funny thing is that the 20-pound Pip and Tal are better at keeping their desired toys from 200-pound Zeus than 100-pound Ami is.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Theo400 wrote:for example I did not know that there was no such thing as a pack leader or that members of the pack are not ranked as I did see this in an old episode of its me or the dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUREXCizjb0 I rember at one point in the show Victoria places a pyramid on the fridge and tells them that they must be at the top and diesel at the bottom?
this is a great example of we do the best we can with what we know "today". a true professional (such as Victoria) is continually growing and learning through study and experience.

I am sure if you or I look back through some of my early advice posts on this forum there would be truly cringe worth posts as judged by what I know today vs then. And that is how it should be, our knowledge and skills should not stagnate. we should know more and be able to do more tomorrow than we are able today.

Here are 3 books to get you started. Read other end of the leash first. It's not a how to train book, but it will help you understand dogs better and will make the case for what is in the other two books. All 3 books are written by TRUSTED names in the training world.

The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
Patricia McConnell
http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leash-W ... +the+leash

Train Your Dog Like a Pro
Jean Donaldson
http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Dog-Li ... like+a+pro

Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
Karen Pryor
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Dog-Te ... ot+the+dog

becoming knowledgeable in dogs, behavior, training, learning does take time. takes hitting the books as much as "getting out and training" and "doing". this is the only way you will learn for example (since you brought it up) that while there is no such thing as "dominance" as "preached" by many dog trainers, there is a valid concept called "Social Dominance" and it is NOTHING like what is "preached" by many dog trainers. but it can take a bit of study to reach the point you truly understand the difference, how it is helpful, how it is not etc.

study of sound material, applying critical thinking, and building experience is how you will gain the knowledge you seek.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Ditto what Erica said, Ki gets all the toys, Bax gets all the food. If bax has a toy and Ki walks up Bax will drop it and walk away. With food there might be a bit more of a scuffle but Bax always ends up with it.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is a lightbulb moment, Shalista. :idea: You should be committed to stopping this happening - especially the 'bit of a scuffle' part. It is very stressful for both dogs and could be a major contributor to Bax peeing in the house. So never put either in a position where there is something about that could be scuffled over. This is your new assignment! :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS