How to Talk to Other Dog Owners

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: How to Talk to Other Dog Owners

Post by WufWuf »

Sorry ckranz I didn't make myself clear there, if you were to walk your dog around my area you would need a muzzle or an eagle eye and rock soild "leave it". Burgers, pizza, potatoes wedges, puddles of sauce or milkshakes, bars of chocolate, chicken wings, porridge ( :shock: ), bread you name it it's on the ground around here :roll: .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

And certainly round here, if you don't want your dog to be fed random treats, you wouldn't be letting it go up to people in the first place because there are plenty who will dole out the treats without thinking to ask. Or they ask at the point where the treat is under the dog's nose and it's already drooling :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ckranz wrote:One huge problem with the treat landmine and other tossing of treat are that some dogs are on food restrictive diets.
valid point... however...

But on the flip side when I use these options (speaking for my self), it's a last ditch to avoid taking even less desirable action. it really is the lesser of two "evils" in my case.

It might sound cold, uncaring, 'non positive' but my priority is my dog first and foremost. goes something like this..

make sure my dog's behavior is such it it's causing problems
make sure my dog's behavior is such that when problems come up, he lets me deal with it
protect my dog if the above fails (body blocking, patting dog on the head, pushing away with my body the other dog etc)
try my best to avoid harming the other dog, but my dog still comes first.

in the 5 years I have had Jack, I have only had to get physical with one dog, and I work very hard to not increase that number to 2, but the other dog's possible health issues really aren't going to factor into my last ditch efforts to protect my dog and my self when I have run out of choices.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

One other problem is that it would not stop a dog with food aggression and could make things worse. I certainly put the health and welfare of my dogs before anyone else's dog and will do anything necessary to protect my pups.

The good news is that You would never have a problem with my dogs:

They do not roam at large
When we are off leash in a designated leash free area, I am actively watching them and participating in they fun
I am extremely perhaps overly mindful of my surroundings before initiating toy games with my dogs.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ckranz wrote:One other problem is that it would not stop a dog with food aggression and could make things worse.
another valid point. I one of the reasons I no longer use the "treat bomb" like I used to...my dog is very possessive of his food. because he has made so much progress, me dropping treats could attract his attetion and if both dogs then went for it, things could take an undesired turn.

as with all tools knowing when not to use it is as important as when too.