Canine Hip Nudge Signals Friendliness

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Canine Hip Nudge Signals Friendliness

Post by Erica »

I read this short little article as Opal often does this when she wants attention or to go outside.
Dog owners often think their dogs are pushy or impolite when they turn their backs to them, sometimes even pushing them. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

A hip nudge is the behaviour a dog shows when it nudges another with its hip or rear end. Dogs often use this sort of behavior towards people, typically during greeting ceremonies when we show the dog passive friendliness by crouching down to it. The dog will then walk towards us, turn round and either nudge us gently with its hip or rear end, or stand passively with its back turned to us.

The hip nudge functions as a pacifying behavior. It signals friendliness. By turning its back to us, the dog shows that it doesn’t intend to attack—it turns its teeth away. At the same time, it shows that it trusts us.
source
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Canine Hip Nudge Signals Friendliness

Post by JudyN »

Isn't it funny how 'Kiss my a**' has opposite meanings in human & dog language :lol:

A lurcher trainer on a course I went on said that a hand placed on a dog's neck at the start of a walk meant 'I'm the boss', but a nudge on the hip meant 'But it's OK, because you're part of my pack'. Several lurcher owners claimed it made a difference, though I can't say it seemed to with Jasper. And it does have definite overtones of pack theory :?

Usually, when Jasper sticks his rear in front of me it's because he wants a bum scratch :lol:

Do you think this is the same as a lean? Some dogs lean on me so hard they nearly knock me over!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I think it's more of an invitation to sniff the bum, or in a more experienced dog, scritch it, as JudyN says. Mine will offer bum for scritching, half turn and grin at me while I do so.

I am so not on board with the pack neck and hip thing your trainer mentioned. Sounded a bit shiny-toothed to me.

Lurchers and sighthounds like to lean, and I've been leaned by a few other breeds as well. I see it as friendly - the equivalent of an arm round the shoulders to simians.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:I am so not on board with the pack neck and hip thing your trainer mentioned. Sounded a bit shiny-toothed to me.
Yes, he's a bit half-and-half :?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Charlie will literally reverse himself so he can sit on your feet. It is really funny.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I call this bum pushing, Ella is a committed bum pusher :lol:

I find collies seem to lean a lot. But last week I met a sheep dog, as in an actual working sheep dog, and he gave me a full body hug, paws on my chest and whole body pressed against me :lol: What was especially nice was he was filthy :shock: :lol: :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I have also heard of dogs backing into people when they have a bit of undigested grass half in & half out their bum and they want a helping hand to remove it :mrgreen:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

JudyN wrote:heard of
we know what you mean Judy :wink: :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sue Sternberg has a theory that some of the "bum" action is related to "resource guarding".

all I know, it there is for sure some meaning to it. And I am sure the meaning is very context sensitive. I too am highly skeptical that any of it means "I am the boss" or "your the boss".

As for hand on the neck... from an unfamiliar, I am sure the dogs first thought is "am about to be attacked?" verse "oh your the boss". with a familiar...I would suspect the dog takes it as human placing their graby hands on me again at one end of a spectrum and on the other some perception of affection from their human.

I seriously doubt dogs think "oh, your boss".
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Belatedly, here's my take on the hip/shoulder/rear 'thing'. I agree it has to do with context, with several possible interpretations depending on nuances and overall behaviours.

Possibly including
  • a polite hello
    a very polite/maybe even 'dignified', hello
    an impolite hello
    can I have a "scritch" (I believe that's the official term :) )
    distributing the family scent
    I'm not a threat
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:A lurcher trainer on a course I went on said that a hand placed on a dog's neck at the start of a walk meant 'I'm the boss', but a nudge on the hip meant 'But it's OK, because you're part of my pack'.
One of the zoi's I work can be antsy when walking through crowds of dogs (as in crowded isles at a dog show) typically handlers will shorten the leash, and keep tension as they negotiate those tight crowds. This particular dog I've found is more comfortable if I place the lead in my right hand and place my left hand lightly on his shoulder. Now of course he's a big boy and his shoulder is just slightly under waist high for me. ..........but he seems to find security in knowing we're 'connected' and that I'm with him. By keeping my hand on his shoulder I can also feel for any tension and stiffening more easily than you can feel it through the lead. Clearly he prefers this as he'll move under my hand and 'assume the position' as we approach crowded isles.
Erica

Post by Erica »

gwd wrote:
JudyN wrote:A lurcher trainer on a course I went on said that a hand placed on a dog's neck at the start of a walk meant 'I'm the boss', but a nudge on the hip meant 'But it's OK, because you're part of my pack'.
One of the zoi's I work can be antsy when walking through crowds of dogs (as in crowded isles at a dog show) typically handlers will shorten the leash, and keep tension as they negotiate those tight crowds. This particular dog I've found is more comfortable if I place the lead in my right hand and place my left hand lightly on his shoulder. Now of course he's a big boy and his shoulder is just slightly under waist high for me. ..........but he seems to find security in knowing we're 'connected' and that I'm with him. By keeping my hand on his shoulder I can also feel for any tension and stiffening more easily than you can feel it through the lead. Clearly he prefers this as he'll move under my hand and 'assume the position' as we approach crowded isles.
I've found it easier to steer Ami away from iffy situations if I've a) got myself between him and the object of his ire and b) have my hand on his neck fluff. I wonder if, when the dog has a trusting relationship with the person, it's a sort of constant reminder/promise that the person is there and can help the dog out if needed.

Always love to see the discussion that comes up on here :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote: Always love to see the discussion that comes up on here :D
I know, right?!?!

Most of my previous dog experience was with sporting breeds. I had to be open to learning sighthound body language as it's got some really different quirks than my sporting dogs. For example, some of the zoi puppies I work with (they're actually 14 months old now) show me that they're uncomfortable about proceeding to a destination by stepping in front of me, turning sideways and actually blocking me from my path. When I first started with them I incorrectly assessed it as them being clumsy and not being really leash trained.......... but then I saw that it was more than one dog doing the same maneuver. They didn't show other typical signs of apprehension........ only the body block. I changed my approach and allowed them to block me and take in the view of where we were going......... then, when they were ready, we'd start again. I let them set the pace. When they figured out that I was finally trainable, :lol: and that I could be counted on to be respectful of their wish to proceed only when they were ready......... they started to trust me more and have faith that I wasn't going to push them past their comfort zone. This body blocking isn't something I'd ever seen in a sporting dog.

The borzoi's are also very respectful of space (thus my confusion on trying to trip me!). Ive noticed when they want to join you on the bed, they'll look at you and 'ask' that you move a bit to give them space to jump up......... my Springer's certainly have no issue about landing on top of me!