Afraid of the car

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mau

Afraid of the car

Post by Mau »

Hi
Our dog of 8 months is still afraid of the car. She lays on the back seat and doesn't move. She never looks out of the windows once the engine is turned on. The minute it's switched off she looks out and will jump to the front. She will not take a treat or eat anything if engine is on or when car is moving. I've tried holding her in the front and she puts her head under my arm. Tried putting her in her bed as well. She will keep her head low and not move. We so want her to enjoy travelling in the car as we want to take her on long trips and would love her to look out the window. Help what can we do? Why is she like this in a car, she's a very confident dog other than this.
Thanks
Sabrina

Re: Afraid of the car

Post by Sabrina »

Hi! These forums can be a little confusing at first - if you actually post this question over in the Dog Training Advice subforum more people will see it.

While you're at it, include as much detail about your dog's daily life as possible: the what/when/how of eating, exercise, playing, training, etc, etc - no detail is too small! Also, I'm a little unclear: is your dog 8mths old, or have you had her for 8mths? If you could clarify how old she is and how long you've had her, that would be great. As for the fear of the car - how long has this been going on? How many car trips has she been on and to what destinations?

[Another thing: I have my dog crated while on car trips (no matter the length). I haven't found very good research on dog safety in car wrecks, but from what I have read it seems that dogs are safer in some sort of restraint.]