Spayed b*tch incontinence

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Spayed b*tch incontinence

Post by bendog »

Still researching spaying and came across this.

Am looking for alternative sources to back up the figures but its interesting reading

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4644
rachel540

Re: Spayed b*tch incontinence

Post by rachel540 »

Thanks for sharing this Amy. I gather you are still agonising over the decision as much as I am.

Our vets haven't mentioned this to us once (luckily I already knew) and the only "side-effect" they have warned us of is weight gain - they seem obsessed with weight just because she's a Lab, as if shes going to eat us out of house and home :roll:

What's your vet like? Would they consider the alternative surgery to leave an ovary?

Pepper started her season just 2 days ago and this time its hardly noticable so far. She remembers the request to "clean" and the throws are on the sofa's. Walks are quiet anyway and she was off lead all morning with me, the only difference being concentrating on recall more often during the walk just to keep it perfect but we've been doing that for the last week or so expecting her to start at any moment. She's different during a season anyway and not as adventurous and tired.

One thing that does worry me is during a season she has the odd accident in the house and I can't help but think she may be prone to incontinence - although I haven't read any reasearch to back this up - its just a gut feeling.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
gwd

Post by gwd »

i found this poll on a dobie forum......

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-he ... -more.html
bendog

Post by bendog »

Same Rach. Poppy is nearly 2 and STILL not reliably housetrained. I can just about keep on top of it but she seems to need to go rather a lot and won't tell me when she needs to go! So I have to make sure 1st thing in the morning, last thing at night and a few times during the day that I take her out and make sure she goes and just don't let her in until she has (which involves standing out in the cold with her whilst she does everything but pee!)

So it's quite illogical but I do worry she would likely get worse if spayed.
It seems like when she is in season she is a nightmare and I am determined to get her done, but then of course between seasons my resolve wavers! It's not so much the blood, it's more the relentlessly flirting with the boys, picking fights with sash, and not being able to go off lead that causes us problems.

But the one thing I cannot deal with is dogs having accidents in the house. I just really hate it.

Gwd - thank you for that, it appears to be a lot more common than I had expected.