Jerking leash while training dog to heel/walk

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ritz

Jerking leash while training dog to heel/walk

Post by Ritz »

I just watched a video posted on a dog shelter/rescue group's FB page. The shelter is actually very pro-active and is no-kill... so all that is good. In their posted video, however, they show their onsite 'trainer' working with one of the shelter dogs, teaching it how to walk on a leash. The 'trainer' jerks on the leash when he wants the dog to listen to him. I find it irritating and wrong, but the shelter responds negatively to any criticism, saying 'people who don't train dogs should keep comments to themselves.'

Is there a way for me to share this video with Victoria Stilwell or another professional trainer on Victoria's site, to obtain feedback on this man's training technique? Fortunately, the video contains no identifying information as to name of shelter or name of 'trainer', so their identity is safe. If I were to receive comments back from a professional on Victoria's website, I would like to forward the remarks to this particular shelter, if that would be okay. I really think it's important that this shelter comes to an understanding that 'jerking' is not a good way to train their dogs.
Sabrina

Re: Jerking leash while training dog to heel/walk

Post by Sabrina »

[Edit: I'm just a member of this public forum. I'm not an associate of VS or Positively]

Hi there! On the main part of VS's Positively site, she has an article about "Why Positive Reinforcement".
http://positively.com/positive-reinforc ... forcement/

Fifth line down from the start of the article: "Modern behavioral science has proven that forceful handling such as physical punishment, leash yanking, or making a dog submit by rolling it on its back is psychologically damaging for the dog and has potentially dangerous consequences for owners."

So that would be a good place to start if you want to refer the shelter to VS's views.

On this forum there is a thread about Loose Leash Walking (no leash jerks!) that has worked for numerous people - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858
Last edited by Sabrina on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

THANK YOU, SABRINA. I'll forward those links. I had already sent them Victoria's Loose Leash YouTube video. I guess I actually wanted someone at Victoria's to watch this guy in action, but I didn't see a way for me to attach a video. That's okay, I realize you're busy people. I'm grateful for these links and your time in addressing my issue.

All the best,
-R
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Hi again! Thought I should clarify that I'm just a member of this public forum - I'm not a representative of VS or anything - hope I didn't imply otherwise!

I just did a little more searching on the Positively site, and there is a contact page: http://positively.com/victoria-stilwell/contact/ . I haven't explored any of the options, so I don't know if there is a way to send a video. Anyway, I'm glad to be able to point you to some of VS's public statements about how dominance-based training is outdated, but I didn't mean to imply that there's no way for VS or one associates to watch the video - because I don't know if there is or not.