Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health

Post by Swanny1790 »

I see the general topic of spay/neuter has been a topic of discussion here before. This article was just brought to my attention. The study cited was done by the U.D. Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, which has a very good reputation in the United States. There is a link to the published study within the article.

Golden retriever study suggests neuteri ... dog health

The findings are not at all surprising to me, given information that has been made available by U.S. Veterinarian Catherine Zink regarding risks of early surgical sterilization. (reference Zink,C.,“Early Spay¬Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete One Veterinarian's Opinion”, Canine Sports Productions, 2005.

The scientific evidence seems to support the position that surgical sterilization of dogs should be delayed until after the dog has achieved puberty. I dogs, this is evident when the dog routinely lifts his leg to urinate, and in b*tches it is marked her first estrus cycle.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Nettle

Re: Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health

Post by Nettle »

I go that step further, and recommend neutering happens after physical maturity - around two years old for most breeds, but 3 or 4 for giant breeds. This is to allow for adolescence to be completed and so an adult co-operative mindset accomplished, plus bone plates closing at the right time for correct size and length.

It's great for dogs that this issue is being brought more into the public consciousness.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Thanks for posting the link. I thought I had done so but I was (sigh) once again, wrong.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm