Dog Communication vid..

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Dog Communication vid..

Post by emmabeth »

This is done by my friends Penel and Laura at Dog Communication in Surrey.

Great vid with bits slowed down and a fab audio description of what is going on - Penel and Laura and their teaching dogs really help a lot of dogs get to grips with communicating with other people, not to mention teaching their owners about doggy communication too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosoSRWg ... ture=share
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
bendog

Re: Dog Communication vid..

Post by bendog »

Thanks for posting that emmabeth.

Sasha reminds me a lot of the bossy matriarch type dog!

I am just never sure when to leave her to correct the young uns or when to stop them approaching her in the first place.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Very interesting video. :D Thanks for sharing!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi! thanks for posting I thought this was a great video. I wish we could slow down real life, I am still unsure on Peppers interactions with other dogs, it all happens so quickly I often miss the communication. She likes to chase but sometimes I can't tell if shes running away, we end most interactions pretty quickly anyway. The most obvious clue I can pick up on is if both dogs go back to chase each other, then we leave them to it a little longer, other than that I'm unsure and we move on. I'm still working on that but feel I have learnt so much, when its just us 1:1 or my OH 1:1 with her I feel I can really read what she is comunicating :)
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's a small world - I know Penel from another forum!

Fascinating stuff. I struggle with Jasper's interactions as he's a mixture of wimpy and bullying, and it's difficult to predict when he's going to go for the latter. He got on well with a young unneutered male the other day, but possibly only because the other dog was so submissive Jasper didn't need to do much to feel confident that he was 'top dog'.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wimpy and bullying are two sides of the same coin. While a dog's innate attitude is largely genetic, doing what you already do with Jas by playing confidence-giving games plus taking charge of interactions, is the way to manage this trait. So kudos to you :) for doing so well.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS