How To Click To Calm?

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MillieMoo

How To Click To Calm?

Post by MillieMoo »

I would be so grateful if someone could explain how to use the clicker to "calm", Millie can be quite an handful at certain

times of the day which ends up me not being even able to sit and relax in the evening, she is very demanding and wanting to play, I do have

many play/training times with her during the day albeit just short 15 min sessions, but I would to have some peace in the evening :(

Please Help.....
My Millie, Born 2nd February 2012 ..."wishing to give her the best and happiest life she so deserves"
MillieMoo

Re: How To Click To Calm?

Post by MillieMoo »

Sorry!... I seem to have posted this in wrong section, could it be moved into "Training section" please :oops:
My Millie, Born 2nd February 2012 ..."wishing to give her the best and happiest life she so deserves"
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's the time of day - pups often get the zoomies just when you want to sit down and put your feet up. Sometimes, however, this is part and parcel of getting overtired and they can get a bit silly (or should that be even siller? :lol: ). And then it's useful for them to understand the 'settle down on your bed' command (however you want to word it).

I would concentrate on teaching 'settle down' during the day, or at times when you know she will be keen to have some quiet time. Then I would indulge her in a good 20 mins - half-hour of play when she is having her zoomies - personally I found it a lot less tiring to accept that I had to do this than to try to relax with a dog bouncing off the walls and chucking toys at me. Then, when you think she is showing signs of tiredness or silliness, ask her to settle down, maybe with a chew.

It does pass, though at nearly three Jasper still wants a bit of attention after tea.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MillieMoo

Post by MillieMoo »

Hi Judy, thank you for the reply, I think you maybe right, I should accept this rather than get
frustrated with it, maybe an afternoon nap will be in order for me too then hopefully I will
cope better with the "mad" hour...or two :lol: ...I suppose I need to change my routine a
little and just relax later....phew! it might take this "Ol' granny a bit of time though :lol: :P
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I promise you, having a mad puppy will keep you young. It might give you more grey hairs though... :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MillieMoo

Post by MillieMoo »

:lol: :lol: ....hope your right! :D plus a few more grey hairs wont make much difference added to the plenty I already have :wink: