My new dog bit a friend

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pili

My new dog bit a friend

Post by pili »

We recently lost our senior dog. We do have another - Buddy (a Chihuahua mix) but it still left a big hole. We went to the Humane society 2 weeks ago and chose a Chihuahua/Fox Terrior mix who is aprox. 1 1/2 yrs old. We introduced them on neutral grounds. That seems to be working pretty well. She first bonded with me - screamed for an hour when I left but she is now bonded with my husband as well. Our problem is strangers -to her - coming into our house. At first it was only massive barking which I felt we could work on. Last night we had friends over. She barked like crazy and would not approach the woman even when she had treats. The husband was in another room with my husband, came out and she ran behind him and bit him. My 12 year old grandson will be visiting for 10 days coming in today so I will get a muzzle - I cannot take a chance. But I need ideas on how to solve the biting problem. We want to work with her. If she goes back to the Humane Society with a report of biting I'm sure they will put her down. With us she is sweet and loving and beginning to respond to commands. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Suzette

Re: My new dog bit a friend

Post by Suzette »

Hi, you came to the right place for some answers to you issues with your new dog. :D

While you might very well get some responses to your query in this section, you will most likely have more success if you copy your original post and paste it in the Dog Training Advice section. Often queries such as yours get missed by our trainers/behaviorists in this Articles section. :wink:

Also, the weekends tend to be a bit slow here on the forums, but I assure you help will be along soon for you. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11